User Import from Apple School Manager - email address field

mbonifacio
New Contributor III

Hello,

I'm trying to import users from Apple School Manager but JSS is using the managed apple id for the email address field. This is causing issues with the matching criteria and JSS is creating new users when that person already exist.

Is there a setting I'm missing? Has anyone else ran into this issue?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mbonifacio
New Contributor III

Spoke with JAMF support rep Camdon and the correct matching criteria setting for us was "Managed Apple ID starts with Username (JSS).

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Are you on 9.93?

Please post your Matching criteria, and a sample of the Apple ID and email address.

I got help from my TAM where I learned that you can choose JSS fields on the left side or ASM fields on the left side, which can make a difference.

mbonifacio
New Contributor III

@cdenesha - Yes, we are on 9.93.

I've changed the matching criteria a couple times nows. I currently have it set on "Username (JSS) contains Managed Apple ID."

My problem is JSS using the managed apple id for the email field when importing users.

41d478628dea45238ead658805b26cdf

The 3 Existing Users JSS found were test users that have @eusd.org and NOT @appleid.eusd.org for their managed apple ID in ASM so the JSS found a match.

mbonifacio
New Contributor III

Spoke with JAMF support rep Camdon and the correct matching criteria setting for us was "Managed Apple ID starts with Username (JSS).

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Yes I had done the same thing! The larger string goes on the left for CONTAINS.

cnelson
Contributor

I am still having this issue. On ASM, I have the correct email and managed apple id. But when I import the users after the sync, if they are a new user, it creates the user with the managed apple id as their email instead of the correct email. I have Criteria set to "Managed Apple ID starts with Username (JSS)"

cnelson
Contributor

I am still having this issue. On ASM, I have the correct email and managed apple id. But when I import the users after the sync, if they are a new user, it creates the user with the managed apple id as their email instead of the correct email. I have Criteria set to "Managed Apple ID starts with Username (JSS)"

peter
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

@cnelson Unfortunately the Email field is not available to the JSS through the Apple School Manager API. Until Apple makes a change on that end, using Managed Apple ID is the best option available.

cnelson
Contributor

Ok thanks, @peter When I create the users first in the JSS and then import the users from the ASM sync, the information stays correct on the JSS side and just updates the Roster. So that's a good workaround for now.

RyanDahl
New Contributor II

I know this is old, but I have a similar mismatch issue.
When I import, it shows appleid.domain.edu, but when the user is created it drops back to domain.edu.

Managed Apple ID isn't a valid criteria for matching for User based smart groups.