Usernames not showing in our JSS instance

thellum
New Contributor III

Good afternoon,
I wonder if anyone might shed light on why the JSS doesn't seem to be pulling username info for machines in a smart group search. Interesting to note that two admins of our instance do have their short names show, but all users do not. Peculiar.c666bac53dcc42458cafaac43618d83c

8 REPLIES 8

bvrooman
Valued Contributor

To confirm: these are computers for which you have set (either via a script, API, or manually) an assigned username in the "User and Location" tab of the inventory record?

If so, do the usernames appear properly in that inventory tab (meaning, just a display issue in the report interface), or is the data actually disappearing from the computer record?

thellum
New Contributor III

Hello and thank you for your quick response!
It does appear to just be just a display issue in JSS. If I follow through in the Inventory list for each machine, I do see full and short names for both user and my admin account.

Odd.

ebalen
New Contributor

The username field in your search is displaying the username that has been explicitly set in the JSS under Inventory -> User and Location. The username field doesn't indicate any accounts that are locally present on the machine.

nberanger
Contributor

Hi @ebalen

Can you elaborate on this? I am not quite clear on where to adjust the setting you mention. From what I can tell it should be collecting that information.

Thanks!

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@nberanger there's a few steps to the process, you might be after something I blogged here

nberanger
Contributor

Thanks @bentoms

From your blog it appears we need our JSS talking to a LDAP server. We haven't yet configured that, which explains why the usernames aren't populating for us. At least now we know :-)

Cheers!

ebalen
New Contributor

@nberanger You don't have to be connected to an LDAP server, although that is something you should do and it makes everything much easier. Here is where the setting to change the username is. It is statically assigned and doesn't populate automatically unless it is done by a script or during user-initiated enrollment.d397bec4af714a2db51bda6e36558f43

nberanger
Contributor

@ebalen OK, got it. We certainly do not want to have to go through and statically assign a username for each computer, that seems rather tedious. Also, what happens when a computer gets redeployed to another user, would we then have to go back and change that user name in the JSS?

Once we do tie our JSS into LDAP, we will most likely look into getting things running as @bentoms suggested in his post

Thanks again!