Version comparison

mfcfadmin
Contributor II

I'm looking specifically at Office but considering a more general solution.
Straight comparison works for most cases but not 16.9 and 16.10.
Just wondering if someone else has figured this out in general.

5 REPLIES 5

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Yes, there are ways. It's a little complicated. I have a method in one of the scripts I wrote a few years back now that still works against just about anything it runs into.

Is this for a script you're looking at, or do you want something for an EA? Or something else?

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@mfcfadmin Take a look at the thread Version, Major Version, Major.Minor Version, and the weather.... The Patch Management feature in the newer versions of Jamf Pro 10.x works pretty well for figuring out out of date versions of Office. You should also check out @pbowden's msupdatehelper which makes it easy to install specific update levels from Jamf Pro utilizing the msupdate tool added with Microsoft Auto Update 3.18.

mfcfadmin
Contributor II

A lot of our clients are way before msupdate so not currently an option.
I also want to avoid clobbering any newer MAU's which have no relationship to the Office versions.
If you have a link to your script @mm2270, please post.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@mfcfadmin I don't think there's anything that msupdate can't update that's still getting updates, so are you sure you don't want to update MAU? You'll also find that MAU 4.2 fixes a root privilege escalation issue (https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-US/security-guidance/advisory/CVE-2018-8412), so you really DO want to install it.

mfcfadmin
Contributor II

The plan is to update everything but currently the versions are scattered
and when they're within a more current range to set auto-update
(which hopefully will become a system-wide setting soon).

So I've got a policy currently called "Microsoft Office 2016 16.14.1"
that I want to pull the version number from to compare against what
is installed on the client.
The policy will always be id #78 and I want to able to access that name
without having to embed any credentials in the command.

Any suggestions?