VPP 2.0 seems to have gone live

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

At least from what I saw when logging into the VPP console.

http://volume.itunes.apple.com

Login and feel free to see what you think

25 REPLIES 25

burnettb
New Contributor

I was actually just getting ready to post the same thing. It wasn't live this morning so it must have just happened.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

nmcspadden
New Contributor II

Just heard from my JAMF rep that information on this is "coming soon." So it looks like more to come still...

steelopus
New Contributor III

Buckle up, folks. I anticipate a lot of turbulence ahead.

burnettb
New Contributor

I also just found out that after trying to download an app with the new Managed option, it doesn't give you a VPP code spreadsheet. As of right now I can't figure out what to do with the app I just purchased. The Apple website says to create a token to use with our MDM but I don't see a way to do that yet. I called support and they weren't sure yet either where it just happened so I don't recommend trying it yet. Just my two cents though.

eanderson
New Contributor

Eager to get this implemented, but sounds like we have to wait on JAMF to update. Hopefully sooner than later.

snook
New Contributor III

Download the new VPP Guide http://images.apple.com/education/docs/vpp_education_guide_en_Oct2013.pdf

You can get the MDM token from Account Summary section of VPP

Now once you get the token I am at a loss of how to integrate that into the JSS. I suspect this is a new feature that needs implemented by JAMF

ssurma
New Contributor III

I got my token and have read the guide, but don't see where I would upload it on the JSS. Update coming soon???

jbrummer
New Contributor

Looking at the Account summary page now. I see...

Managed Distribution: Easily assign apps or books to users on iOS 7 or later or on OS X 10.9 or later using a Mobile Device Management (MDM) solution. If you have an MDM solution, you can download a token which can be used to link your MDM solution with your VPP account. Once linked, you can invite users, assign apps and books, and revoke and reassign apps directly through your MDM solution. This token will expire after one year or after a password reset.

... but there is no link to download the token next to that. Anybody else having this issue?

harpolej
New Contributor

We have been able to download the Token from our VPP console, but looks like Casper is not ready yet. I am running ver. 9.21,and see nowhere to load in the token, I guess that it is still in the works with JAMF.

jphale
New Contributor

I'm with harpolej. I've downloaded the token and have v 9.21., just waiting on JAMF.

lfarrugia5
New Contributor

Are we able to get codes once we have already requested the token? I need to deploy the app within the week and I don't think the update will have come by then....

cio
New Contributor
Are we able to get codes once we have already requested the token? I need to deploy the app within the week and I don't think the update will have come by then....

Old question but...
You can still acquire redeemable codes by selecting the "Redeemable Codes" distribution type prior to order review. This is only available with Paid Apps.

I have a screen shot on FB... we'll see if it links properly...
external image link

John_Wetter

You get one shot at picking tokens vs. codes, so short answer for @Ifarrugia5 is no, you have to pick at purchase. Apple has communicated that at some point organizations will be able to convert codes but it was explained that this will be all or nothing. As of today, tokens are a bad choice as I only know of one MDM besides apple supporting them at all.

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

they have weighed in on that...it's a one way street...they will convert unredeemed codes to managed distribution licenses, but not the other way around. For now, we are buying codes with the intent on using managed distribution and are using Joe Yamada's in-house app method so we don't burn all the codes...that works hopefully only until this summer.

danny33c
New Contributor III

What is taking so long for this to become a reality?!?!?!

coachdnadel

Could you elaborate on the "Joe Yamada's in-house app method?"

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

It's kind of a hush-hush thing. Also definitely a "JAMF really doesn't support this" thing and while it's not perfect, it is working as a good placeholder for us until everything from Apple begins to take shape this summer.

Here's the JAMF Nation thread on his in-house app method. Joe also did a session at JNUC.

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=7446

lcopeland
New Contributor

It is now June. Are there any updates or documentation on this?

talkingmoose

@lcopeland

Not sure if changes were made as of the 9.30 update or ones that followed. Casper 9.32 supports the new VPP.

John_Wetter

Yes, they were there in 9.30. Take a look at the release notes and there is good information. We've already deployed about 1000 iPads using DEP and VPP2.

John

mstanaland
New Contributor

Where do you add the Apple Managed Distribution Download Token? We're using 9.4 and I can't find it anywhere.

steelopus
New Contributor III

Login to your JSS, click the Settings cogwheel on the upper right, then click on Global Management, and finally VPP Accounts. Click the + button to add a new account and you'll see the button to upload a managed service token.

mstanaland
New Contributor

I do not see an option that says VPP Accounts.

steelopus
New Contributor III

Well then, that's really odd.

Check page 79 of the Casper Suite Administrator's Guide 9.4.pdf to see the exact VPP Account process.

If you don't see what is listed there, then I'd recommend contacting JAMF support.

Alternately... perhaps you're using a JSS account that doesn't have permission to modify VPP Account settings.