VPP Apps assigned to device prompting iTunes Sign in screen.

ohtech
New Contributor II

I have iPads enrolled in my JSS through DEP that I can't push apps out to. The apps are assigned to the device but when they're pushed out a message is displayed saying you must sign into iTunes. Clicking "Sign in" does nothing and it repeats for each app. Moving back to the JSS the error "Please login to your iTunes Store Account" is shown.

12 REPLIES 12

jrwilcox
Contributor

What version of iOS is the client on. We have seen this in iOS 7.x and 8.x.

ohtech
New Contributor II

IOS 10

RLR
Valued Contributor

Check you haven't got multiple Mobile Device App entries for the same app.

bburdeaux
Contributor II

Multiple entries for the same app isn't an issue, as long as you're confident in your scoping. There are some apps that have three entries in our app catalog without issue.

This behavior is consistent with selecting the Install Automatically/Prompt option without checking the Device Assignment box. Do you have other devices within the same scope that have gotten the app installed?

WBS
New Contributor III

I am also having this issue with another MDM provider( Lightspeed) they are on ios 9.3 if i recall correctly.

bvondeylen
Contributor II

I had that issue earlier this school year (end of August); seemed at that time it was happening when the network was very busy. Would you happen to have a lot of iPads in the same room with only 1 AP? What happens if you try to take the iPad to another part of the building with no other devices and try?

RLR
Valued Contributor

I just remembered I had this issue also. It only affected older iPads that had been assigned apps/users before with DEP content. I think there was a license stuck in the database that was trying to assign to the device that hadn't been cleared properly. Jamf Support had me run some SQL commands to re-sync all our VPP licenses.

cpdecker
Contributor III

Being prompted for iTunes sign-in at App installation is a strong indication that the licenses didn't reach the user or device for whatever reason.

JSS versions below 9.96 cannot assign device-based licenses to iOS 10 as I recall. What version is your JSS?

sepiemoini
Contributor III
Contributor III

@cpdecker Nope! It appears it simply requires that you're running 9.82+ and iOS 9 for mobile. Here's the Jamf article.

• The JSS v9.82 or later • Computers with macOS v10.11 or later and/or mobile devices with iOS 9 or later

I'm having this issue as well and have tried a few different apps. I'm running 9.92 in my organization and the iPad 2 Mini is running 9.3.1. FWIW it's also supervised and managed. Any thoughts?

MaakaPapuni
New Contributor

Having the same issues.

has anyone solved this? We're running Casper 9.91, with IOS 10+. Devices are fresh from DEP without any apps, incl Self Service but nothing else is happening due to a requirement to sign in with the apple ID. I though DEP was supposed to by pass the need for Apple IDs?

WBS
New Contributor III

I am still having this issue our ipads are managed by lightspeed so i am in contact with them however they have not found a reason as to why its doing this. On the latest ios and our lightspeed auto updates at this point i think its apples doings.

dmillertds
Contributor

I had (and occasionally still have) this issue as well. I can't recall the exact details of why, but it was related to devices that had been enrolled with DEP and previously used with VPP invitations. In addition to clearing some SQL tables (unfortunately don't recall which), we also had to move to deploying Self Service via a policy to the devices using device-assigned apps. The problem is, we still have Self Service installing on enrollment for all devices, so on re-enrolling, it's basically a race condition to see which gets installed first - the "normal" Self Service per the "automatically install" option in Mobile Device Management, or the auto-install policy. If I see the former starting to install in the device's management tab, I cancel it until the policy-based one gets installed. Once that's accomplished, I never see the Apple ID login again!

Long story short - try pushing Self Service via a policy, see if that helps.