What Antivirus do you use at your Company?

Stubakka
Contributor II

Hello All, been a while since I posted here. Currently at my Organization we have adopted Trend Micro antivirus and it has worked fairly well. We used to have SEP and it was kind of hit and miss, but could have been due to configuration on the server at the time. Anyways, Im throwing this out there to see what might be trending between System admins, and what seems like the best over all solution. What Antivirus are you deploying and why? Id like to stick to solutions that are server managed client setups. Go!

20 REPLIES 20

jbestine
New Contributor III

We are currently using ESET. It has a small footprint compared to the others we've tried like SEP and Sophos, and although there is much to be done, their new Enterprise management cloud console is not as horrible or windows-centric as it has been in the past. We allow our users to turn off certain features in a managed client.

I'm actually curious about what others are using too.

Emmert
Valued Contributor

We're currently using Kaspersky but are looking to switch. You might read this thread for some suggestions:

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/24109/anti-virus

kerouak
Valued Contributor

This has been raised before, If you search the disscusions, I'm sure you will find a wealth of replies.

yves
New Contributor II

We use SEP for 'enterprise' clients, and trying out Comodo Endpoint Security paired with Comodo Dome for a few smaller MSP clients.

jhuls
Contributor III

Count me in as curious what people are using as we're currently not using anything. The older threads are good to reference but posting a new thread like this can be good for catching the attention of people new and old with more current thoughts on the topic.

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

IBM doesn't use anything beyond what's built into macOS (from JNUC 2016):

e6f1b42463d94c2b9e1cf7f187b6c575

kowsar_ahmed
Contributor

We use Symantec endpoint protection. No issues at all locally on the clients however the management console is terrible.

kowsar_ahmed
Contributor

@jcarr Quite interested to see the workflow for IBM. Is there a link from JNUC anywhere?

thanks

Emmert
Valued Contributor

They've actually presented twice. Here's the 2015 and 2016 presentations:

https://www.jamf.com/blog/mac-ibm-zero-to-30000-in-6-months/

https://www.jamf.com/resources/keynote-day-2-a-user-first-mentality/

s_oconnor
New Contributor III

We used to use Sophos, have since switched to Cylance. Took some time to get the key with the install to automatically push when a computer was imaged. Once we got it up and working, it has been going well. Windows machines are also running on Cylance. Makes it nice to have the whole company on the same AV.

“Cylance was the first AI built to statically analyze and convict malware pre-execution. We definitely didn’t invent AI, but we were the first to use it this way to deliver pre-execution protection. Many other products have been using machine learning, it’s just that it was used to support legacy methodologies of protection/detection, using ML to identify trends so static signatures could be built, which in a world where attackers are creating individual pieces of malware to avoid signatures, results in a severe lack of efficacy, thats the problem Cylance was built to solve.”

kowsar_ahmed
Contributor

Thanks! @Emmert

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Had Sophos, liked it well enough. Swapped the Cylance and love it!

ericbenfer
Contributor III

As far as I can tell Cylance on macOS just seems to verify that apps are signed.
What is the advantage of Cylance over GateKeeper?

jmahlman
Valued Contributor

Switched from Sophos to Symantec Endpoint this summer. Symantec is much better.

WBS
New Contributor III

I use avast for business free, its cloud based and works decent on a mac. Its geared to windows but installs and works fine on our macs. It checks in and gets any updates and reports issues to the cloud.

cddwyer
Contributor

Sophos, they're pretty speedy with new definitions and have other end point protection features.

Emmert
Valued Contributor

Looks like we're switching to the free version of Avira this year. The overhead is pretty minimal.

caboundeh
New Contributor II

We also use Sophos.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

@ericbenfer Having moved from Sophos to Cylance I've certainly noticed the additional items that Cylance catches that neither Sophos nor GateKeeper stop. So far, this has been minor adware (genio type stuff) and 'potential' spyware but it's certainly much more than GateKeeper. I'm happy to compare notes.

cysec
New Contributor

we are using F-Secure Business Suite. professional package with all features that we need including great protection.