When iOS 8 rolls out will all of my non-supervised iPads become supervised (setting setup in DEP.)

jgwatson
Contributor

I have all of my iPads setup to be supervised in DEP. However only 30% of them are supervised as this setting was changed after I gave out all of my iPads. In short some students have had there iPads for 2 to 3 years and I didn't have the time to recall them.

My question is: when iOS 8 rolls out, will the iPad contact the JSS to see if it should be supervised and then make the switch?

11 REPLIES 11

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

to my knowledge there's no way to supervise devices OTA.

effiesilb
New Contributor

DEP will supervise over the air. From my update to iOS 8 it doesn't look like it goes back into the start-up steps to enroll it. I can't say for sure because the devices were already enrolled. The supervision and profiles did stick and communication stayed active (I was able to remote lock etc). I would be 99% sure this would not auto-supervise them because it doesn't go into prestage setup.

fca_it
New Contributor

I just updated a device (non-suprovised) and it is now running IOS 8. The iPad is still unsupervised.

scanady
New Contributor

We have a deployment of over 1000 iPad Mini's
I just updated my first test device today (we use DEP)

Previously our IOS devices showed 5 profiles under SETTINGS>GENERAL>PROFILES> the 5 deployed profiles.

The updated device now shows SETTINGS>GENERAL>DEVICE MANAGEMENT[> a single MDM Profile

This MDM Profile now includes a MORE DETAILS Selection that contains the previous 5 profiles, web clippings, and certificates.

there also is a restrictions tab that lists all of the restrictions placed by the JSS profile configuration.

The previous profiles still show up in the JSS under the specific (search filtered) iPad under MOBILE DEVICES>INVENTORY>PROFILES

This is a much different appearance than before, however the device still appears to be working normally.

We did not lose control of the device due to the update.

Shawn

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Thank you Shawn

vmr309
New Contributor

When I update the IOS on new iPads to 8.0.2 and connect to my mac mini running Apple Configurator, it errors out while supervising the device (Prepare). Happened with 3 devices and all I get is connect to iTunes symbol. And when its connected, the restoration fails. (Replaced 1 iPad already)
Is there something I'm missing here? Worked fine with all old iPads prior ios8

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

DEP OTA supervision will only occur on new out-of-box or completely restored devices.

qhle373
Contributor

@vmr309 are those devices checked for supervision to be on in JSS under pre-stage? The DEP pre-stage supervision can conflict with configurator's supervision.

vmr309
New Contributor

The device isn't part of the DEP. Maybe I'm in the wrong discussion. Sorry about that.
And thanks @qhle373

qhle373
Contributor

@vmr309 actually, now that I think about it. Did you have iTunes open at the same time? It interferes with configurator as well.

vmr309
New Contributor

@qhle373 Yes, I believe i did. In the background though or minimized obviously.