Xcode 12 not installing via self service

dlondon
Valued Contributor

I have Xcode 12 as a VPP app assigned via Apple School Manager to our Jamf Pro server

Just rebuilt a machine and tried installing Xcode and it looks to install but finishes way too quickly and doesn't install. No message of a failure and nothing in the Jamf inventory for the machine. Lots of other VPP apps are installing - Pages, Numbers, Keynote

Apart from downloading it direct, are there any other ideas of things to check?

8 REPLIES 8

tonymuni
New Contributor II

I have yet to find a resolve for Xcode 12 installing via Jamf and would much like to find a fix as well as find a way to update existing installations that were installed directly form the App store versus a Jamf deployment.

bryancowie
New Contributor II

Has this been resolved? If so, what was the solution?

CVaghela
New Contributor II

I have just opened a ticket regarding this these are the errors I have found:

Error installing content: Xcode
com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: Coalition Cache Hit: app<application.com.apple.dt.Xcode.22961078.23627245(503)> [3119]
com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (application.com.apple.dt.Xcode.22961078.23627245[9999]): Service exited due to SIGABRT
com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (application.com.apple.dt.Xcode.22961078.23627245[9832]): Service exited due to SIGTERM | sent by Dock[617]

Not to sure what they mean, waiting until they get back to me

zerocounts
New Contributor II

I have also opened a support case for this: JAMF-2900787

RedWings
Contributor

We now have this issue as well. Opened a ticket.

gabester
Contributor III

There are many threads out there on challenges installing Xcode esp via VPP where due to its size some kind of timeout or download interrupt occurs. In my org we've had better success grabbing the xip from the Apple developer site and redistributing / unpacking that to clients. Not pretty, very space consuming (you'll want upwards of 40GB free just in case) and manage users' expectations to have a LOT of patience. 

swapple
Contributor III

How did Jamf fix this?

craig_sadler
New Contributor II

What is seen here, is that on XCode install from "Self Service" it shows an error ("Failed"). 
This operative leaves that, and then as root in the terminal:

find /private -name '*.pkg' 2>/dev/null

You'll see it there (if the VPP god is smiling on you) with a randomized filename and when run again you'll see it's still alive, downloading... file size growing. When a bit more than 11 Gigs,  and stops increasing in size, run:

installer -pkg /private/var/...{whatever} -target /

Even that may take 20-30 minutes to complete, but usually does.

The mistake is in taking the Error at face value and clicking "Install" again, or "Open" (which sometimes appears), all is muddied in that case...