Install a PWA via Jamf School

bevans9908
New Contributor II

Hi,

I was able to save a website as a PWA on an iPad using the instructions under the "Installing a PWA on iOS" section on this page. Once saved, I attempted to deploy it to other iPads using the Add In-House iOS App option in Jamf School but the install fails with the following error: Could not install./Invalid manifest

Has anyone successfully deployed a PWA via Jamf School. If so, are there any instructions available? Or any guidance you can share?

Thanks,

Bill E.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bevans9908
New Contributor II

Well, I was doing some reading and found this thread.

I assumed since I hadn't yet found the Web Clip payload anywhere else in Jamf School, that this was the only way to use it. Because of your comment, I did some more digging and found the instructions for "Creating and Managing Mobile Device Web Clips" on this page. I followed the instructions and have now successfully deployed a Web Clip.

Thanks, again for your responses. Definitely helped to point me in the right direction.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Fluffy
Contributor III

Am I wrong in thinking a PWA is the same as a Web Clip?

If they are one-in-the-same, you can add them either by the Web Clip payload or the Layout payload. If you are already using the Layout payload, I would recommend using that.

bevans9908
New Contributor II

Hi Fluffy,

Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated! You are correct that a PWA and Web Clip are the same. I am a novice in Jamf School so forgive the lack of knowledge.

The info you provided pointed me in the right direction but I now have more questions. The problem I have is that the Web Clip payload can only be used with shared iPads and currently, none of the organization's iPads are shared. When I look at the Shared iPad configuration settings for the organization it appears that once configured, it would set all of the organization's iPads to shared and set a logon screen. Since I'm a novice, I don't fully understand what that really means. So I'll have to do some more digging to figure out if it's something that will work for the organization long-term.

Thanks, again for the info. Definitely put me on the right track. 

What has led you to believe that the iPads need to be Shared to apply the Web Clip payload? We have multiple web clips made that way that work normally on non-shared iPads.

bevans9908
New Contributor II

Well, I was doing some reading and found this thread.

I assumed since I hadn't yet found the Web Clip payload anywhere else in Jamf School, that this was the only way to use it. Because of your comment, I did some more digging and found the instructions for "Creating and Managing Mobile Device Web Clips" on this page. I followed the instructions and have now successfully deployed a Web Clip.

Thanks, again for your responses. Definitely helped to point me in the right direction.