Managed Configuration for Chrome

Varepsilon
New Contributor

At the end of November 2021, our administration team received the announcement that with Jamf School, we are able to manage the browsing experience (set bookmarks, restrict content, ...) in the browser Chrome on iPads.

Currently, we have roughly 300 student devices that are managed by us via Jamf School. During breaks, students use their iPads to play online games a lot. We would like to restrict their usage of the browser Chrome and got hope with the post in the November 2021 newsletter.

We followed directions to link our iPad devices with our Google Workspace for Education Plus. In the admin console, under devices - Chrome - managed browsers, we created a token. In the Jamf admin console, we put in the token under Apps - Chrome - Managed Configuration.

Unfortunately, the iPads don't show up in the Google Admin console.

Any helps and hints are very welcome.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

There is another step after adding the managed app configuration for a particular app that may have been missed. For each device group you have that app set to install to click the gear and select the appropriate app config as shown in the screenshot below.

Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 2.26.43 PM.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

There is another step after adding the managed app configuration for a particular app that may have been missed. For each device group you have that app set to install to click the gear and select the appropriate app config as shown in the screenshot below.

Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 2.26.43 PM.png

Varepsilon
New Contributor

Thank you, mainelysteve. That was very helpful.

Hi @Varepsilon and @mainelysteve - Sorry to comment on resolved thread, seemed related (can delete and move comment if not.) Would you mind sharing the xml you used for the managed config? Were there any additional steps you needed to do to apply the config? I am attempting to enroll browsers to Google Admin, but am finding they are not. The activity log shows that the managed config was applied, so I am thinking I'm missing something in the syntax or otherwise.

I am attempting to apply the managed config to existing installations of Chrome Enterprise. Here is what I used, per documentation online.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>CloudManagementEnrollmentToken</key>
<string>[our token id is here]</string>
</dict>
</plist>

School doesn't require the doc type tag so remove everything from <?xml down to dtd"> . Give that a shot.

It's only requirement, aside from a properly formatted config is that it's wrapped in <plist></plist>. I don't presently use Managed App Config on Google Chrome so I don't have any app config code to share unfortunately. 

KatMaerz517
New Contributor II

I am using Jamf pro and I don't see where this gear is.

Pro and School are two separate products with different UI's. For Pro you need to click on the App Configuration tab as shown below.

Screen Shot 2022-05-13 at 4.20.16 PM.png