Please Bring back the old device Inventory user interface in Jamf School

rob1
Contributor

Please vote on my idea to bring back the old Inventory user interface at https://ideas.jamf.com/ideas/SCH-I-315

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

MikeTheTech
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hey rob1! I would highly suggest reaching out and getting a case created so we can document any issues you are seeing. However, like AJPinto said, there are a lot of fundamental changes to how the new UI works so if the old UI were to be restored, it wouldn't work anymore. I'll share the sentiment to our teams here and the issues we are seeing, but getting a case created with us would be best! 

View solution in original post

rob1
Contributor

Thanks Mike, Just clarifying "select all devices with the checkbox at the top left in Devices > Inventory" needs to be done on 3 separate pages at my site. Checking that checkbox currently only applies to the current page, which is limited to a max of 500 devices per page. Using the filter after you have selected all the devices is the issue, you need to select the new toggle - "Deselect All" before applying the filter as the other devices will still be selected even though the filter has been applied. I think this is what I was looking for and has made quite a difference. Thank you

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

Most of the points referenced in your feature request are posts you made that did not get any responses about columns. I have seen others make comments on this same issue with no resolution. Have you opened a case with Jamf? This seems like something they would want to file under a product issue to fix the column problem rather than a feature request.

https://account.jamf.com/products/jamf-pro/known-issues this is the link for Jamf Pro product issues, I'd assume Jamf School has a similar page.

Unfortunately, I doubt it is as simple as bringing back the old UI/UX. Jamf has made a lot of back-end changes. Some of which are very fundamental to the product that may not allow the old UI to function in a manner that it used to, there is a decent chance you would have the same UX issues with the old UI if restored.

MikeTheTech
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hey rob1! I would highly suggest reaching out and getting a case created so we can document any issues you are seeing. However, like AJPinto said, there are a lot of fundamental changes to how the new UI works so if the old UI were to be restored, it wouldn't work anymore. I'll share the sentiment to our teams here and the issues we are seeing, but getting a case created with us would be best! 

rob1
Contributor

Dear Mike and AJPinto,

I created a case and was told to open a feature request by our Jamfschool reseller. I did, they said they were working through the issues and then closed the call without an explanation. I am working around the UI changes that have been made. I don't usually need to make bulk changes to our entire fleet of devices, however when we do, I used to be able to do it by selecting all my devices at once. I dunno maybe it is just a matter of getting used to the changes to the UI and implementing safeguards so as not to make a mistake that I don't leave the devices selected before I go to another activity on the interface. The new device UI was in beta from 2022, but a lot of its older issues appear to have been resolved. I just thought that the device UIs could work side by side as they had been, both have their pros and cons and I think that a lot of engineers would switch between the two when working on different issues. 

MikeTheTech
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Well I'm sorry about that call, I'm sure it's frustrating to experience issues and feel like it's not getting anywhere. I'll share your feature request internally as well for more coverage. 

For bulk changes, you can still select all devices with the checkbox at the top left in Devices > Inventory, and you can use the Filter at the top to narrow down subsets of devices and then select them all. Is there anything in particular you are trying to do that is limited? 

Doesn't work unfortunately.

I display 25 devices per page, I have 321 devices.

If I click on the checkbox at the top, it only selects all the devices on that page, leaving me with 296 devices not selected.

I then have to go to the next page, click on the checkbox, then the next page, etc...

When you have 13 pages, that's 25 clicks more than I had to do previously (1 click to select the next page, 1 click to then select all on that page, so 2 clicks per page).

In the old inventory page, I just clicked on that 1 checkbox at the top of page 1, and all 321 devices were selected.

rob1
Contributor

Thanks Mike, Just clarifying "select all devices with the checkbox at the top left in Devices > Inventory" needs to be done on 3 separate pages at my site. Checking that checkbox currently only applies to the current page, which is limited to a max of 500 devices per page. Using the filter after you have selected all the devices is the issue, you need to select the new toggle - "Deselect All" before applying the filter as the other devices will still be selected even though the filter has been applied. I think this is what I was looking for and has made quite a difference. Thank you

RayHerring
New Contributor III

My current method has been to go to 'Table Settings' change it from 25 to 500, click the checkbox to select all, click on 'refresh', then change the 500 back to 25 and click on 'deselect all'.

I can't keep it on 500 because it's as laggy as all crap, since Jamf School only seems to be hosted on Jamf Cloud in Europe for us West Aussies, at least, the school I work at, our JamfSchool instance is hosted in Europe.