Push Managed Apple ID to the iPads

MousaniJunior
New Contributor

Hi all,

We just intregrated the Apple School Manager with Jamf School to some schools. So far, everything is working fine execept for the Apple IDs.

I mean, I've wiped de device, I've applied the correct blueprint through the Apple Configurator. It links the iPad automatically to the JAMF, it goes automatically to the correct group, it takes the correct owner and finally all free and paid apps are being installed automatically. The enrollmente is apparently OK.

The only problem here is that the managed Apple ID (by ASM) is not being pushed to the iPad.

All Apps installed, find my device ON but there's no Apple ID signed in to the iPad.

Could you please help me how to do that?, how or where shall I add the Apple ID to be pushed to the iPad during the enrollment?

Thanks in advance.

Mousani Junior.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

boberito
Valued Contributor

You can't. It's just not possible.

View solution in original post

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

That's an on device process since it's an account for one and the user data pulled down from ASM into Jamf School doesn't include authentication. The account you see is merely informational and can be used for scoping or for Shared iPad Mode. 

As @boberito mentioned there won't be any official documentation on this as it's quite honestly a given that Apple ID accounts can't be pushed to devices through an MDM command or configuration profile. Where would the account data come from in the MDM service? How would you deal with the potential for two factor authentication? Step back and think about it for a second and it will be one of those forehead smacking moments.

Depending on the age of your students I'd get the device to a certain point and then let them handle the accounts, but that's your call.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

boberito
Valued Contributor

You can't. It's just not possible.

Thank you for the replay Boberito, I trust you 100% because I couldn't find any information about how to do it, but anyway, as it is for my company, I just wondering where could I find that it is not possible, so I can show this information to them, do you know any oficial article in Apple or in Jamf?

Thanks again.

I dont think you'll find anything official like that. The lack of information is the proof.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

That's an on device process since it's an account for one and the user data pulled down from ASM into Jamf School doesn't include authentication. The account you see is merely informational and can be used for scoping or for Shared iPad Mode. 

As @boberito mentioned there won't be any official documentation on this as it's quite honestly a given that Apple ID accounts can't be pushed to devices through an MDM command or configuration profile. Where would the account data come from in the MDM service? How would you deal with the potential for two factor authentication? Step back and think about it for a second and it will be one of those forehead smacking moments.

Depending on the age of your students I'd get the device to a certain point and then let them handle the accounts, but that's your call.