Issue while installing nexthink collector on my mac

Sunshine
New Contributor

Hi All,

I am trying to install nexthink collector in my Mac but ended up getting the error "the installer encountered the error that caused the installation to fail. contact the software manufacturer for assistance" . Need  help with installation.

3 REPLIES 3

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

Not to be funny, but have you reached out to the vendor? The exit codes in packages, come from scripting within the package. The error you are seeing is coming from the package itself and it not being happy about something.

Prodding question:

• How are you installing this? Are you running the installer manually or trying to get a workflow in Jamf to install the software.
    • If you have not tried installing manually, do that before trying to deploy with Jamf.
    • What does the Jamf policy look like? Are you installing the DMG or caching it and running a script.
  • Have you reviewed the vendor source files to see what the scripting is doing or trying to do?
    • On this the Install.log won't really help, as it will just have the same message Jamf is displaying.
  • Are you following the vendors install instructions?

The vendor provides the source files as a dmg, this can be deployed with Jamf. However, you will need to cache the .dmg and run it with a script that you write using the vendors documentation. The general workflow of the script would be to mount the DMG, run the commands noted in the Command Line Install instructions, eject the dmg, and delete the source files.

pete_c
Contributor III

I don't even distribute the entire .DMG, I just package the "csi.app" and a text file with my org's product key, then run a script (set for "after") that is basically:

# install to some temp location
csiAppPath="/private/var/tmp/Nexthink/csi.app/Contents/MacOS"
address="name-of-your-instance.nexthink.cloud"
proxy="hopefully-you-dont-use-one.yourorg.tld"
key="/private/var/tmp/Nexthink/yourkey.txt"

$csiAppPath -address "$address" -tcp_port 443 -key "$key" # etc etc

There are a ton of options in the csi.app, but this approach has been flawless for my org for over a year.

Boogietr0n
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

Do you have the package signed with an Apple Developer account? https://learn.jamf.com/en-US/bundle/jamf-now-documentation/page/Deploying_Mac_Packages.html