506 error when assigning DEP devices to PreStage Enrollment

sgabriel
New Contributor II

Hi,

I have hundreds of devices to manage trough DEP PreStage Enrollment.
I added about 15 new devices to my DEP accounts and then I tried to add themn to a PreStage profile.

At this moment all the previously assigned devices showed "unassigned" (but enrolled and still working).

Then I tried to select all or part of them and click on "Save" but I got the message: Error 506 - An error occurred while saving the changes. See JAMFSoftwareServer.log for more details.

Now I have all my enrolled devices with the "unassigned" status ...

JSS version : JSS 9.99.0-t1494340586
Running on: Apple Mac Mini

How to fix this?

13 REPLIES 13

sgabriel
New Contributor II

Nobody encountered this issue? Even in the JAMF team?

estes
New Contributor III

Having the same issue. Can occasionally save 100 at a pass... but not reliably.

iamdan
New Contributor

I was working on prestage enrollments and came across this same issue. Happens 9 times out of 10 when editing or creating a new prestage.

Also on 9.99.0-t1494340586

Lcer_Helpdesk
New Contributor II

Hey sgabriel,

I'm having the same issue. When I try to add large amounts (50+) of devices to a pre-stage enrollment, I hit the 506 error. The only work around seems to be saving in smaller amounts (around 10 - 15 at a time). I'm on JSS 9.98 running off Windows 2012R2. Sure hope we can get a fix soon.

mahughe
Contributor

we see it too when doing a number of more then 50 or so, but I'm sure this process is pretty intense on the db..

sgabriel
New Contributor II

I tried also with few amounts and it works..until I add new devices.
I select 20 devices and click on save -> OK
I select 20 other devices and click on save -> OK, but the 20 previously devices appear again as "unassigned"...

I tried with other amounts (5, 10,..) but issue remains.

It's very frustrating, I hope it is only a display error and all my devices are still assigned. It would be great to have an explanation from the JAMF team!

ahall80
New Contributor II

I have the same issues I have 2 pre-stage enrollments. the first was the original and I made a second as a duplicate and I keep getting the error:

An error occurred while saving the changes

See JAMFSoftwareServer.log for more details.

SO I have a rep from Jamf to do a webex with me today. I hope to get this resolved. its very discouraging as I have 60 devices UNSUPERVISED and some of those DONT HAVE NAMES????

Over this past summer 2017 I started Jamf in my school district and and enrolled 411 devices all ipads I had to individually enroll all of them. After finishing and going into the server etc, I have version 10 not the new beta. Anyway any help with this would be appreciated.

Jtuggle
New Contributor II

Has this ever been resolved? I'm having these issues too. I've just been doing it a few at a time but now I'm getting the error when just trying to do 25. I have 2400 new iPads to assign and I'm ready to pull my hair out!

khowe
New Contributor II

Just keep trying with your entire selection. It will eventually work. I can do 15000 iPads at once, but 4/5 times it will fail. I just keep using the back in my browser, if you use the back button in the UI, it goes out of the prestage completely.

ndeangelis
New Contributor III

I am seeing this as well in my Jamf Cloud instance. Sometimes I can add up to 100 at a time, and sometimes I have to click each individual device to add to a prestage.

estes
New Contributor III

I was able to work around this by logging into the client facing JSS instances in our clustered environment. For some reason the admin JSS didn't like more than a handful at a time.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Seeing this as well,
Seems I can individually select all the iPads and it will scope correctly, but as soon as I try the select all check box, it gives that error.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

berkwv
New Contributor

I am having the same issues. Has anyone bothered to try and fix this since this thread covers a full year of problems? I miss being able to enroll devices with a CSV file in Airwatch. I wish someone would take the training wheels off JAMF so it would complete the process the same way.