Bypass VMware 8.1.0 one-time setup administrator privelages.

Alpal
New Contributor

I have already installed the vmware pkg with the windows file, but when I try to open it, it gives me the message: "VMware Fusion requires administrative privileges to perform one-time setup." Is there any way to install VMware without using any admin privileges? 80e9bd91656d49f2a47d0b36d58a8841

11 REPLIES 11

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I would normally run a snapshot in Composer to find out what files / folders are being modified / added.

Once you have that information you can decide how best to proceed.

Before doing that it would be worth checking out the VMWare KB article about fusion deployment:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=205868...

Alpal
New Contributor

Sorry, I'm not actually very adept at any of this "stuff". If someone could offer a tutorial that's easy to follow it would be greatly appreciated. Although I'm having doubts about the plausibility of this in the first place...

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

@Alpal I understand certain things come easier to some than others. But that link literally has ALL the steps you need to take to create a deployable VMware Fusion package.

Once you have that package ready then you can deploy it via Casper. Upload it via Casper Admin and then make a policy that installs that package.

Alpal
New Contributor

This method won't prompt admin password then?

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

Correct.

franton
Valued Contributor III

Here's something I wrote a while back. It pulls a licence from an EA in the JSS and registers VMWare with it. Has worked very well for me and maybe could be modified for your use?

VMWare Serialiser

Alpal
New Contributor

How would I make use of this code. Also, as the full dmg including the virtual machine was emailed to me by a teacher at my school, I'm not actually sure if I have a license key (which is necessary in the vmware selfservice method.

@franton Is that a method that executes vmware fusion a different way?

Thanks

bvrooman
Valued Contributor

I'm not on 8.1 yet (still 8.0), but I run this after install (with Casper, as root) and users are not prompted for administrative privileges:

#!/bin/bash

/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/Initialize VMware Fusion.tool set

Just wanted to say THANK YOU. I know this thread is like 6 years old, but i have been struggling with patching Fusion and getting around the admin prompt on first launch as all of our users do not have admin rights. This worked perfect with Fusion 12.2.3.

jakeobbe
New Contributor II

Tested with VMware Fusion 13 and confirmed this works still. Thank you all!

valentin_peralt
New Contributor III

I'm having this same issue with Catalina 10.15.7; I tried @bvrooman 's suggestion but my users are still experiencing the issue.