Details about converting the MySQL DB to InnoDB

grahamrpugh
Release Candidate Programs Tester

About the InnoDB conversion and the tool to do it... We now have got the tool out from the Linux installer on a VM, and have run it on a dev instance. It asks for various values (pool size etc).

• Is there any documentation about what these should be?
  • How do these values compare to existing values for MyISAM?
  • Where do they get written to?
  • What determines whether a newly created database is MyISAM or InnoDB? I don't see anything in the files in WEB-INF/xml/*?
  • Once we convert our existing DBs, how do we ensure that any new ones we make are already in InnoDB format?
  • Can the tool be run non-interactively so we can script it for all instances?
4 REPLIES 4

Serge
New Contributor III

I though that if you didn't have

<DefaultStorageEngine>InnoDB</DefaultStorageEngine>

in your DataBase.xml file it'd default to MyISAM.

jkb
New Contributor III

If I can add one more question: Are there any special concerns or a particular order of operations we should follow when converting on a multi-context server with multiple JPSes/databases or is it not a concern since the engine is a per-table thing and not a global database thing?

grahamrpugh
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@Serge Where is this documented?

Serge
New Contributor III

@grahamrpugh I don't think it was. I had to add that line for my new production instance to create InnoDB tables by default, and when I converted my staging instance to InnoDB. This was a couple of years ago, when InnoDB was unsupported still.