FAIL TO AUTO RESTART - Encryption Policy with 9.22

corbinmharris
Contributor

I have a self service policy to enable users to kick off FV2 encryption. Testing of the policy for the past two weeks. Wednesday morning I upgraded to Casper 9.22 and policy doesn't auto restart the test Macs, nor does the User Interaction display the Start Message or Restart Message.

Also, I would like to enable the local admin user at the same time, but at this time, the only way I can get this to work is a post-encryption policy.

Any suggestions is highly appreciated.

14 REPLIES 14

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I'm seeing the exact same behavior. I just enabled FV2 on a 10.8.5 machine via Self Service, and the machine does not restart, and FV does not engage. I had to manually enable FV on the machine.

corbinmharris
Contributor

It seems to be an issue with the restart option. I created a test policy that runs inventory and then restarts. However, restart does not happen -

Executing Policy Test Inventory Then Restart...
[STEP 1 of 1]
Running Recon...
Retrieving inventory preferences from https://rodgort.bct.3cinteractive.com:8443/...
Locating accounts...
Searching path: /Applications
Locating package receipts...
Locating printers...
Locating software updates...
Blessing i386 OS X System on /...
Creating Reboot Script...

corbinmharris
Contributor

If I restart manually the screen to kick off FV2 encryption does come up. However we want to make this as seamless as possible to the end user in using with Self Service

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Maybe I am not understanding this correctly, but in my testing, if the system is restarted by a script or other forced reboot then the FV2 password prompt does not appear. It only seems to appear when the user initiates a restart/shutdown/logout.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

That's correct. Forced restarts won't make the FV2 enablement window appear. Only a normal restart through something like the Apple menu for example make that appear. However, there are ways to script it. With each version of OS X Apple does make it harder and harder to automate this though. We recently had to rework some scripts for our Mavericks workflow. The sandboxing in OS X is getting so aggressive that we have to keep coming up with workarounds to prevent it from stopping us dead in our tracks.

maweee
New Contributor
New Contributor

I am seeing this restart issue to but with normal policies.
I have a ticket open with jamfsupport about it.

spotter
New Contributor III

I am seeing the same behavior and just opened a case with support...

spotter
New Contributor III

I am seeing the same behavior and just opened a case with support...

corbinmharris
Contributor

The issue is known to Jamf support - defect tracking number: D-006057

maweee
New Contributor
New Contributor

Here is a quick and dirty workaround.

In the policy > files and processes > execute command enter "shutdown -r +5"
Its not nice its not pretty but it gets the job done until the defect is fixed =)

corbinmharris
Contributor

"Here is a quick and dirty workaround.

In the policy > files and processes > execute command enter "shutdown -r +5"
Its not nice its not pretty but it gets the job done until the defect is fixed =)"

Thanks! Going to test today.

Corbin

agurley
New Contributor II

Thanks for the help - I too am having issues with auto-restart on all kinds of policies.

mhasman
Valued Contributor

+1
issues with policies auto-restart after updated to v.9.22

AKuzenkov
New Contributor III

Looks like this was resolved in 9.23

http://resources.jamfsoftware.com/documents/products/documentation/Casper-Suite-9.23-Release-Notes.pdf

Search for D-006057.