File sharing distribution point - HTTPS/SMB

dzogrim
New Contributor III

Hi,

We are using JAMF Casper Suite version 9.81 (without test environment) and we have questions about file sharing (distribution point) if we want to use HTTPS.
At this time, we only use SMB file sharing for one distribution point.

If we want to activate HTTPS on this distribution point :
- Is priority givent to HTTPS then SMB if failed when it is activated ?
- Is it possible to know for post-scripting if Self Service have been using SMB or HTTPS ?

Thanks in advance for your exprerience return.

--
mdpt

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

-I believe once a DP is made HTTP that's the only thing it will use. SMB would only be used for Casper Admin to upload packages
-The policies that use HTTP will say they are downloading from http://webaddress/Packages/etc/etc/etc/ as opposed to SMB/AFP which if I recall says the share has been mounted.

View solution in original post

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@mdpt & @bpavlov Once HTTP/s has been enabled for a DP, that's what's used EXCEPT for when replicating via Casper Admin or when using Casper Imaging.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

-I believe once a DP is made HTTP that's the only thing it will use. SMB would only be used for Casper Admin to upload packages
-The policies that use HTTP will say they are downloading from http://webaddress/Packages/etc/etc/etc/ as opposed to SMB/AFP which if I recall says the share has been mounted.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@mdpt & @bpavlov Once HTTP/s has been enabled for a DP, that's what's used EXCEPT for when replicating via Casper Admin or when using Casper Imaging.

dzogrim
New Contributor III

Thanks @bpavlov @bentoms !

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

It would be awesome for JAMF to provide an rsync solution for replicating DPs hosted on RedHat or OS X. Why bother with Casper Admin, other than to upload to the Master DP. Let automation do the work.

--
https://donmontalvo.com

russeller
Contributor III

Just a FYI, You can also override the default HTTP method behavior in each policy or Casper Remote Action if you wanted to force SMB over HTTP.

kirkmshaffer
New Contributor II

Apologies for reviving a dead thread but in searching for answers this one came up again and again. I'm trying to use a file share on Ubuntu as my master DP. Currently, we're curious if we can do it without smb whatsoever. It seems - from this thread and testing - that downloads are just fine as HTTP > SMB when implemented, but how does that affect uploading and assigning pkgs? I can scp/sftp things to the share but then the JSS can't see them to assign them in a Policy... or are my permissions setup improperly? I put bunk SMB data in the AFP/SMB share tab so I could save the DP configuration.

I also don't plan on using Casper Admin at all for file upload (and we don't use imaging). So we have rysnc setup to run periodically to other DPs (mix of Ubuntu and Windows servers).

bsuggett
Contributor II

Dear All,

In response to this. I can only answer the Windows File Sharing question as we only have Windows SMB files share with DFS for automatic DP replication and load balancing SMB and HTTP/S.

In settings in the JSS, if you clone an existing DP. Set one to have the HTTP/S flag and one to only have SMB. Obviously change the label to reflect which which one is SMB and the other to be HTTP/S. This way you can then set one of them as a the master DP which clients will connect to by default. If the HTTP/S is flagged as default it will connect to that first. You can then set the one with SMB only to failover. This way you get exactly what you want.

Please also note, regardless of a HTTP/S being set in the JSS. CA (Casper Admin) will always connect to it via SMB.