Help Guides

Euwanh
New Contributor III

Is it possible that a help guide can be put on self service that a user can view only on self service only (I know you can add a link to bookmarks).

The issue I am facing is that we want new starters and existing staff members to be able to look at the onboarding guide if needs be. What you find however is that one staff member will save an outdated version and share it with the others so we don't want it on their local machines.

Where the guide is currently hosted you need credentials to access but would need to allow new starters to see it without having to log in as they might not have had all their credentials already.

4 REPLIES 4

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Self Service is a kind of web browser, so if you posted a PDF or html link somewhere on your internal network that had a user guide, you could publish a bookmark in Self Service that would point to that. You could even specify that the link open within Self Service, rather than open in a separate browser (or vice versa). Having it point to a link means that whenever someone accesses it, they are sure to be loading the most current version uploaded to the internal site.

Euwanh
New Contributor III

That's the issue the internal site requires a password before you get access for new starters they might not have credentials yet. So what I am ultimately asking is there a way to store the pdf so it opens from the Jamf server itself? I saw the options for In-House eBooks but it seems to install to the machine would be cool if it just opened in self service https://docs.jamf.com/10.2.0/jamf-pro/administrator-guide/In-House_eBooks.html

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Honestly I don't think the PDF itself can be hosted within Jamf. The only thing I know it can do is link to a location where the file is hosted.
Another possible option, something I've done myself in the past, is send the file, or preferably an html version of it, to each Mac in a hidden location, and publish a Bookmark in Self Service to that file or html. Meaning, it may look to them like it's loading from an external site when they click on it, but its actually coming from their own Mac. This is different than just dropping a file on their Desktop and them opening it manually. It will still be "in" Self Service, but not actually hosted on an external site.

Euwanh
New Contributor III

Thanks for the response I think the html option might be the best one in this instance.