iOS MS Edge - How to disable Sync accounts

dlbrabb
New Contributor III

We have noticed that iOS MS Edge has forced the Sync accounts startup screen on Edge.  This was introduced in version 98.1108.56.  I put the following in the Edge app config section in Jamf, but it did not work.  Maybe these values are only good for Intune?!?!?

<dict>
<key>com.microsoft.intune.mam.managedbrowser.account.syncDisabled</key>
<true/>
</dict>

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/intune/apps/manage-microsoft-edge 

Wondering if there's any App Config that would disable this feature or how do people control MS Edge on iOS devices.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

With Managed App Config on iOS your key needs to target a simple, single value i.e. like HomePage instead of what you have above. inTune or Endpoint Mobility Manager or whatever it's called these days treats this differently apparently.

It took some digging but I cribbed the key you're looking for from Microsoft's Jamf Pro custom schema for the macOS version of Edge. This documentation page will be of some help.

Use SyncDisabled in the key field. Take note of the case of the S and make sure it's capitalized.

<dict>
<key>SyncDisabled</key>
<true/>
</dict>

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

With Managed App Config on iOS your key needs to target a simple, single value i.e. like HomePage instead of what you have above. inTune or Endpoint Mobility Manager or whatever it's called these days treats this differently apparently.

It took some digging but I cribbed the key you're looking for from Microsoft's Jamf Pro custom schema for the macOS version of Edge. This documentation page will be of some help.

Use SyncDisabled in the key field. Take note of the case of the S and make sure it's capitalized.

<dict>
<key>SyncDisabled</key>
<true/>
</dict>

Hi Mainely,

I believe the SyncDisabled worked fine as above on a single key entry into the AppConfiguration field but when adding additional for Edge iOS anything after disabling Sync doesn't appear to apply.

<dict>
<key>SyncDisabled</key>
<true/>
<key>AADWebSiteSSOUsingThisProfileEnabled</key>
<false/>
<key>PasswordManagerEnabled</key>
<false/>
</dict>

Could you give your thoughts on the above? 

Thanks,

dlbrabb
New Contributor III

Thanks, seems like some of these policies for macOS work on iOS.  The SyncDisabled did suppress the Sync login screen.

holger_netterby
New Contributor III

As @mainelysteve mention above here the key SyncDisabled works but I need to set a default Homepage. I have tried all possible values for the homepage with the key Homepage, HomePage and homepage and also the macOS HomePageLocation mentioned here https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-policies#homepagelocation without success.

Have anyone here managed to get the default homepage to work with App Configuration on Edge for iOS or do I need to go the Chrome route and setup Chrome management with Googles new Cloud Management?

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

Little late to this convo but we have a (mostly) working AppConfig for our iOS deployment of Microsoft Edge as our managed browser for BYO devices. The one that never seems to stick no matter what we try is the InPrivateModeAvailability, everything else seems to work fine.

<dict>
  <key>SyncDisabled</key>
  <true/>
  <key>PersonalizationReportingEnabled</key>
  <false/>
  <key>DefaultBrowserSettingEnabled</key>
  <false/>
  <key>HomepageLocation</key>
  <string>https://yourcompany.okta.com</string>
  <key>NewTabPageLocation</key>
  <string>https://yourcompany.okta.com</string>
  <key>DiagnosticData</key>
  <integer>0</integer>
  <key>InPrivateModeAvailability</key>
  <integer>1</integer>
</dict>

I have found that Edge doesn't seem to see changes to AppConfig on the fly (if you see a Settings - Managed App Configuration command push successfully to a device) so if you adjust your App Configuration on a deployment you may need to delete the app and reinstall it for the app to register those settings correctly on first launch.

Would love to see Microsoft publish some true example App Configurations for other MDMs, though I suppose I understand why all of their documentation would clearly bias Intune…