Java Virtual Machanine Preference Change script

cowboy6
New Contributor

We are going to be doing some testing online in our school. I have to change the JVM preferences to have 32-bit on top. They are defaulted to 64-bit. Is there a script that exists to change the preference order in JVM that I can push out to all of my students? We are running Snow Leopard on all of our student macbooks.

2 REPLIES 2

acostj
New Contributor II

No need for a script you can push via MCX. It's a by host preference if you set the file on one machine and go under the Users> User folder > Library > Preferences > ByHost folder. Look for the java preference file "com.java.javaPreferences.uniquemacidentifier". Upload to your JSS using the upload function in Managed Preferences > Create Managed Preference > Upload a manifest or a plist file. Make sure you convert by the script that the upload function informs you of before uploading I usually copy the plist file to my desktop open terminal and paste script in there and drag and drop file location at end of script removing the /path piece. Then it will let you choose the different domain keys choose PreferredJVMOrder and it will populate the values form the plist file. It will bring you to a screen where it will show the setup of the new MCX setting you can keep everything as it stands but one minor change go to Definition tab and change the domain value. It should read com.apple.java.JavaPreferences.ByHost this will now allow you to manage this preference on all Snow Leopard and Lion machines and setup the appropriate order.

cowboy6
New Contributor

I got it all set up, but when I tried to apply it to a few computers, nothing changed. Does the Key Type in the Definitions need to be set to anything in particulat??? ex..boolean, string, date, data, real?????? Thanks for your help