Logic Pro X - Skipping download prompt for new user

britadmin
New Contributor

Hi All,

I'm deploying Logic Pro X in a multi user environment (AD bound Macs) for the first time, and am wondering how to make the experience as smooth as possible when a new user logs in for the first time.

I think I'm fine deploying the additional content, but for each new user Logic prompts them to download it again on first run. If they press no then it finds the existing content just fine, but this is a student environment so I know at least some will just press yes and waste space (and time) downloading another copy of all the content for their account.

Is there an easy way to skip this dialog on first run?

If anyone has set up Logic in such a way before and has some pointers, it'd be very much appreciated. There are a couple of other things we'd like to achieve if possible, such as skipping the scan for audio units on first run, and the process of indexing apple loops on first run. Are these indices stored in specific files I could load in to the user template, thus skipping these scans for new users?

14 REPLIES 14

apizz
Valued Contributor

@britadmin I've been using a Python script as part of our deployment. The script has a number of command line options for downloading only the required loops, for example. So you could push out Logic Pro followed up with this script for downloading (installing loops via this script is currently in development in the test branch).

I have more experience with GarageBand, but if you install the mandatory loops that are normally downloaded and installed on first launch with you shouldn't need to do this again for subsequent users.

How are you deploying Logic Pro? Are you doing VPP or pushing a copy of the Logic Pro PKG installer from the Mac App Store?

britadmin
New Contributor

We're doing a VPP push, but with a slight change when downloading the loops.

We downloaded them manually on a test machine, then moved them and left a symlink at the previous location to the new one. This works fine when actually using the app, but it seems to be the cause of this repeated request to download, based on what you're saying. I'm guessing Logic sees the symlink on the first run for each user, but doesn't follow it and realise the loops are already present, so concludes that they need downloading again.

I was hoping there'd be a "first run" key in a .plist somewhere, since if you say "no" it doesn't ask again so I essentially want to simulate having pressed "no" without giving students the chance to press "yes."

It's not the end of the world if we have to leave the sounds in their default location, but since there's a ton of other music software going on these Macs we wanted to keep all audio content together in a dedicated location.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Apple have eyes on the Logic X and GarageBand install issue, in case you guys haven't yet opened AppleCare Support tickets, that'll help.

--
https://donmontalvo.com

apizz
Valued Contributor

@britadmin I would take a look at the Python script I posted, at least for the download portion (for now).

I used to use the Python script to download all the loops to a USB thumbdrive and then use a Bash script I wrote - https://github.com/apizz/Mac_Scripts/tree/master/Apple_Loops_Install - to install them from the flash drive.

Not sure if you use a caching server, but if you did you could save yourself some bandwidth by directing all loop download traffic through there, rather than having each machine reach out to Apple's servers for this.

There's a nice write up of one possible solution using a caching server - that is until the Python script includes the ability to also install loop packages - here: https://reyhassan.wordpress.com/2017/04/21/garageband-loops/.

If you don't have a caching server, there's an option coming to specify a file server for your Apple loop packages in the Python script.

britadmin
New Contributor

@aporlebeke Thanks, will definitely do so as an easier way of deploying the loops themselves. But my main concern is how to handle the dialog box after moving the files and placing the symlink on the old location.

apizz
Valued Contributor

@britadmin If you are installing the loops on each machine, users should not have to deal with any dialog boxes. Loops get installed in a couple places - /Library/Audio/Apple Loops & /Library/Application Support/Logic - and when any user launches the app it should automatically look to these locations and see these loops are installed and not display the dialog box. There are two sets of loops - those that are mandatory and those that are optional.

How are you installing these loops and where are you getting the loops from?

It's possible that not all mandatory loops are being installed which is why you're seeing the dialog box on first launch. That being said, if that were the case you should only see the dialog box once. Not for every additional user.

Not sure why you're having to deal with moving files and placing symlinks though.

britadmin
New Contributor

@aporlebeke It's because we deliberately moved the loops and created a symlink. This was at the request of a department member as these Macs will have a lot of digital audio and we're trying to keep all resources (from quite a few apps/plugins etc.) in a distinct location on a second partition. When actually using Logic, this works fine. It follows the symlink and loads all the loops just fine. It's solely the pop up which we'd rather avoid, as if a student presses yes then we'll end up with a second copy of all the loops on that machine.

As you say, if you leave the loops in the default location then Logic doesn't ask to download them again for each new user. But with this symlink method, the only byproduct seems to be that users are asked to download them again on first run, despite Logic seeing them just fine in the new location once it actually loads up.

This set up is far from essential for the Logic side, and we can just leave them in the default location if that turns out to be the easiest answer. But since it seems like it should be an easy fix (still need to just dig through Logic's user level .plist and see if the answer is in here), I thought it worth asking if there was a known way to simply bypass that box. Actually deploying the loops etc. isn't really the issue, it's just working out how to skip that dialog in this specific case. Since a user can press "no" on that box and won't be asked again, I basically just want to simulate them having done exactly that, for each new user.

mrjpearlcohn
New Contributor

I am new to this forum. I have a multi user computer lab and I already have all the garage band and logic sounds and loops on an external hard drive. I just want to know if I take turns giving it to students to install on their computer, will my next group of students in the next class have to repeat the process? My goal is to find the best and quickest way to make sure that all users who log into my computer lab have access to all the Logic Pro sounds. I am not a TSS or computer tech guy, just the Audio Production teacher at my school. Thanks for any help you can provide.

jmahlman
Valued Contributor

Aguiness
New Contributor III

Hi i get a mac and run composer and download all content i then package and deploy, it works with garage band also

bsuggett
Contributor II

To grab the GarageBand or Logic installers for sound libraries use the below...
SoundsLibrariesExtract

Then use InstallPKGsfromDMG from below
InstallPKGsfromDMG

JetJaguar
New Contributor

@jmahlman - does Appleloops reference a single repository on the machine? It must otherwise even 10 student log ins would overwhelm the storage space.

allanp81
Valued Contributor

@JetJaguar Yes, they're stored for all users on the device.

JetJaguar
New Contributor

@jmahlman That is great. I am brand new to this scripting etc... What is the workflow, step by step if someone has time....I looked at Appleloops wiki and read it. What part of the script do I past and reference etc...?