Mac Admins not in the education sector?

gm7cadd9
New Contributor III

This is my first JNUC, and it's a fantastic conference thus far. Everyone is friendly and knowledgable, though for the majority of sessions, and interactions I feel like the only person here who isn't working in Education (I know this is not the case, but it does FEEL that way).

I spent 5 of my working years in higher education with a fleet of 300 or so. For the past 6 years I've been working in a corporate environment (Post Production, Broadcast, Publicly Traded, etc). My fleet here is around 60 systems (not including anything mobile, that's a different beast).

Having worked in both I can say that there is plenty of overlap where we share commonality, however there are a lot of areas unique to the corporate world. People mean well, but I've heard lot of: "60 computers, that's it? how cute" as if a fleet of 10,000 makes you a better admin.

I don't intend to create an "Us and Them" mentality, but it would be nice to network and talk to other Mac/Casper Admins who work outside of education. Even if it's not here at JNUC 2014, post below with a brief introduction.

I'll start:

My name is Roy, I work currently work for Crown Media Family Networks (Hallmark Channels). I also freelance on the side with a focus in Post Production. Our typical client is fibre attached (Xsan) to a StorNext SAN integrated into a Media Asset Manager with HSM/DLM.

Sorry if this sounded like venting, I love all of you guys.

45 REPLIES 45

phillip_chen
New Contributor

I work for a tech startup with offices in Austin, SF and Sydney where I'm the admin for about ~250 active machines where we just started to roll out JAMF when I started (~2 months ago) however I was also the JAMF admin at my previous company of about 70 users.

Anyone else in SF?

GSCS
New Contributor

[deleted]

jescala
Contributor II

@corbin3ci I have not seen any other replies from South Florida. Do you know of any one else?

corbinmharris
Contributor

@jescala - I think we're a rare breed in SoFL

jescala
Contributor II

@corbin3ci How can I contact you offline?

corbinmharris
Contributor

@jescala - Message sent to your Linkedin account