Please help with Mojave and Filevault braking the machines.

coreadmin
New Contributor

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help or has had experience with the FileVault policy braking OSX.

What happens is when do a fresh install of Mojave, then enroll the machine in jamf, when the FileVault policy runs it locks the computer up, the machine is useless until you wipe the drive and reformat the drive.

Has any seen this before, also we are running the latest version of Mojave.

The fix currently is to install HS, run the policy, then update to Mojave.

4 REPLIES 4

omarluna
New Contributor III

Hey there! It would help if you give more details.

What do you mean by “locks the computer up”?

What screen comes up? I do fresh install of
Mojave with FileVault policies at first login with no problem

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

@coreadmin

There were issue with X.14.0 and X.14.1 depending on how and when you enable FV ... my issue was fixed with 10.14.1 but I have read here that there were different issues with X.14.1 so you have to use X.14.2 for sure...and I'm not sure that the X.14.1 issues were resolved as I didn't see them in my enable process..

C

PS you can use fdesetup from the terminal to test your process .....

maurits
Contributor

@coreadmin which method do you use to enable FileVault? a Policy or a profile? Have you updated each recently? With 10.13 apple introduced the 'FV key escrow', so procedure made for 10.12 and older may have to re-designed (and at least re-tested).
I have had best results with the profile method, and two scopes. (scopeA <10.13 with FV redirection profile, and scopeB for 10.13+ with FV key escrow). I know other admins prefer the Policy method since it only enables FV (and a FV profile manages all tabs in the security pane).

coreadmin
New Contributor

Hello everyone.

Thank you for responding to my post.

So in a nutshell, we had a config profile and a policy trying to do the same thing, this is what caused the problem.

We have it resolved, thank you.