Policy Using Configuration Profile Not Working

Billy_Baggins
New Contributor II

Testing installing this app https://github.com/root3nl/SupportApp and something isn't quite right that I can't figure out. 

1. I have a Policy with this package where the Scope is my test computer.

2. I have a Configuration Profile using Application & Custom Settings > External Applications using this json file.
The Scope is a Smart Computer Group.

3. The Smart Computer Group uses Criteria where the Profile Identifier "is" the Value of "149694A2-D63C-4195-94C6-26B778EFA58D" which is the Identifier of the application.

The app is installed on my test computer but it is not picking up any of the settings from the json file. 

Any input would be appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

push the configure profile 1st using just the computer name, then install the app. 

Not sure why you are using profile ID etc? 

Note if your deploying via JAMF Mac Apps, you need to makes sure the option to push config profiles is disabled. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

push the configure profile 1st using just the computer name, then install the app. 

Not sure why you are using profile ID etc? 

Note if your deploying via JAMF Mac Apps, you need to makes sure the option to push config profiles is disabled. 

Thank you, this seems to have done the trick.

I was getting the Profile ID / Smart Group ID off of another post from HERE. But apparently I was misinterpreting it. Thank you for restoring my sanity!

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

What happens when you run defaults read /Library/Managed Preferences/nl.root3.support.plist?

If the application is not picking up the configuration that is being delivered from the Configuration Profile, I would wager either the domain is wrong (should be nl.root3.support), or there is something wrong with your JSON and the XML its creating.

I myself would not scope something to a smart group that is looking for a specific configuration profile ID. Just deploy the configuration profile to the group of devices that would be eligible for the application and be done with it.

Looks like I got it based on @jamf-42 's suggestion, thank you for your response. This is my first time in this forum, it's good to know help is out there!

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

Can you confirm your scoping logic? The way I read that, your profile is targeting delivery of this profile to a smart group whose criteria is the presence of a that exact profile? So it'll never show, right (sort of a double negative idea)?  In the future, will this be sent to all systems? why complicate the smart group membership for testing? I'd test by targeting to your specific Mac.

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

FWIW - that profile identifier key isn't the application ID, it's the unique ID of that profile. If you're trying to deploy to computers that have received that application, scope by App title, or package receipt, etc.  

Looks like I got it based on @jamf-42 's suggestion, thank you for your response. My scoping logic was based on misreading another post on the board. 👍