"Parental Controls" enabled by default (AD bound computers)...way to disable in JSS?

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Is anyone else seeing the "Parental Controls" checkbox being enabled on AD accounts, on first login? There doesn't seem to be a way to control this in JSS.

System Preferences > Accounts > Password > [x] Enable parental controls

Thanks,
Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com
12 REPLIES 12

Not applicable

Hey Don,
I saw this happening with MXC turned on.

Thanks
LC

Sent from my iPhone

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I've just seen it in an environment with no mcx.

Regards,

Ben.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Larry and Ben,

MCX is disabled in JSS. I tested this after the imaging guys left to make sure the box isn't being checked manually, confirmed it comes on by itself (gremlins?).

JSS is at 7.31 (we're generally a version behind - change control is a b!tc#). Looking for a defaults command to disable this so we can handle post-boot.

Thanks,
Don

--

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Sorry don forgot to mention.

The macs I've seen it on have no Casper or od on the network.

Just built from cd

Regards,

Ben.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Ahhh...if this is on by default, then that changes everything. I was under the impression it was off by default.
If it's on by default then I guess everything is fine. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Thanks,
Don

--

Not applicable

I presume you're using the built-in AD plugin? Perhaps it has some way of doing MCX that it enables by default...

If that checkbox doesn't bother you, I wouldn't worry about it. It's just an indicator that MCX is enabled for that account (by some means: local, Casper, ADmitMac, OD, whatever). It doesn't necessarily mean any settings are applied beyond that.

Are these mobile accounts?

philcebutv
New Contributor III

iam also seeing this on our AD env. it is on by default .. is there a command to turn this off

brian_whitted
New Contributor

We have been seeing this issue did anyone get a fix for this?

LRZ_Jamf
Contributor

I have 2 Machines with this issue an 10.5.0 aswell. Just wondering if anyone inhere found a fix. It's really annoying, cause people can't use Siri AND Safari blocks some Webpages.

TheSeans
New Contributor

@LRZ_Jamf I'm having the same problem. It used to be the box would be checked and it wasn't actually doing anything. Lately it's blocking random websites. If you go and edit parental controls, or turn them off, they'll pop back on after a restart.

gwalkerSSDS
New Contributor II

For us it's checked for all standard student mobile managed accounts, and the check populates the controls with defaults.

If a parent changes it for their kid, the next time the kid logs in it's wiped out.

Mojave here.

I tested with Catalina and the new Screen Time and things work better. (I suspect because the parental control check box is no longer there.) We're working with jamf support, but it has been over 24 hours and we're not much closer to a solution.

gwalkerSSDS
New Contributor II

Update after a 90 minute support call with Jamf.

It wasn't worth any more time to spend on it.
Since Screen Time works and we'll all be on catalina soon the point is moot.