Stuck on Startup

Maineboy22
New Contributor

I work at a community college and have a lab with 22 iMacs in it. All were running 10.11.6 and I had just deployed several pieces of software to them including a policy that created an non-admin local user. I then ran a policy to reboot all of the machines and when I came into the lab all the machines are booted halfway and frozen. the reboot policy shows as pending on all machines. At some point there was a power failure and the JSS was down this morning but after hard rebooting ( attempting ) all the machines they still won't boot. I can get them to start up in safe mode and ran 'sudo jamf policy' from terminal but there response was no pending policy and the computers still won't boot.

8 REPLIES 8

iRyan23
New Contributor III

Have you tried to reset the NVRAM and/or repairing the drive with disk utility in the recovery partition?

Maineboy22
New Contributor

I did try resetting the NVRAM. I didn't try the disk utility, it seemed odd that it would be a disk problem on 22 machines simultaneously.

Chuey
Contributor III

@Maineboy22 I've never had all my iMacs do this at the same time. It's usually hit and miss for mine. Issue has been going on for some time with no resolution.

Maineboy22
New Contributor

Yeah, I also noticed in your post that you were experiencing this with Yosemite. I would think that it might be model specific but it really seems like with all 22 of them down that it's probably related to on of the software deployments. I'm going to start with Office 2016 and backtrack from there I guess.

Chuey
Contributor III

@Maineboy22 I don't know if it's office or not. How are you deploying Office 2016? I just use the PKG they provide and then use the serializer to activate. If it was office, I feel it would be affecting more than just iMacs?

Maineboy22
New Contributor

We have a site license for Office. I would agree with you but we are new to Jamf and just starting to get the ball rolling. Those iMacs are the only computers that are currently enrolled and had office deployed to them. However that could be said for multiple Adobe CC products as well like, Acrobat, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Indesign etc. so I've taken my test machine down to bare metal, re-installed the OS and re-enrolled it. I'll just go back on at a time and see if I can duplicate.

Chuey
Contributor III

Are you deploying Office with Casper or is it pre-installed on your base image?

It shouldn't matter either way, we are building it with our image so we don't have to send it down through network.

Maineboy22
New Contributor

I'm deploying the package with Casper. I might have to look into that.