Swapping a Hard drive - Are there any Jamf binary implications?

joethedsa
Contributor II

I had one of our employees damage their Mac so we swapped the hard drive and put it in another unit. I noticed the system isn't checking in now to Jamf. Has anyone ever experienced this? Are there any recommendations to get the system to check in with Jamf again. I wouldn't think that swapping out the hard drive to another system would cause the disconnect since the Jamf binary is still intact. Is it possible because the serial number has changed, the binary will always use the original when checking in?

3 REPLIES 3

mschroder
Valued Contributor

You need more than just the binary for a working connection to the server. The client identifies itself with a certificate that was issued by the server. If the client does not have the certificate the server will not accept any connection. You also need the preference plist, otherwise the client does not even know which server to talk to. Did you check /var/log/jamf.log on the client for any errors?

Ah wait, you put the hard disk into another Mac, and expect that Mac to report to the server? No, that other Mac has another UDID, so for the server it is another Mac, and one that is not enrolled, so the server again will not accept any connection from that client. You need to enroll it.

jared_f
Valued Contributor

Un-enroll & re-enroll client.

In this case it would have been better to move the user's data onto the fresh machine.

rhooper
Contributor III

Have you tried sudo jamf enroll -prompt?
you will enter your JSS username@yourbusiness.com
and your password.
if you use SSL you will need that information as well.
That installs the CA keys back onto the machine in question