TrendMicro Worry-Free Security Services WFBS Package Creation

CorpIT_eB
Contributor II

Hello JAMF Nation,

Has anyone been able to successfully create and package with the WFBS Trend client to be pushed out via policy in JAMF every single attempt I have made as resulted in failure or corrupted installations.

I have found several posts here, that have helped with potential ideas but unable to get anything going successfully.

Keep in mind I am a JAMF NOOB but am learning more and more each day. I have 30 machines that are out in the field and have been tasked to creating packages for:

• Skype for Business
  • WFBS TrendMicro

That are a bit of a challenge any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mack525
Contributor II

@CorpIT_eB I did use JAMF Composer to package this. What we found was Trend's documentation for mass deployment needed a little T.L.C for JAMF. I'll break down the steps we took to get this working for us.

1. Used Composer to package the WFBS Installer .pkg file i received from the web console and dropped it /var/tmp/TrendMicro directory. Make sure this is composed as .dmg with (FUT) & (FEU) selected 095c52a56ddc466abf6ace71b8765607
  2. Next, in order for Trend to register/update the correct virus patterns each machine to your web console, you will need to drop a .plist file. Take a look at this link on how to get the that identifier. Identifier script should be set to run "After" 6a3418d7091440c68e890c74a7205c4c
  3. Lastly i added a "Files and Processes" Execute Command within that same policy12d63d65203c474c9906ed1b3b297d82
  4. Should be all you need. We have ours in Self Service and have not had any issues. if you have machines that had Trend installed, i would recommend adding an uninstall script in front of this. Heres how the final the policy looks. 892b9c6c6d2d4d588303820da12db4fa

View solution in original post

57 REPLIES 57

achristoforatos
Contributor II

@mack525 @CorpIT_eB Thank you for all the help!

mack525
Contributor II

@CorpIT_eB @achristoforatos Unfortunately, None of these steps are documented by Trend. Could've saved all of us a lot of head pounding. Glad its working for you.. If you ever noticed that its not running.. you may need to update/repackage the installer agent thats dropped in the /var/tmp that may fix your issue.

CorpIT_eB
Contributor II

@mack525 I hate to bring back an old post man but have you had any issues with your TrendMicro installation?

After having this install successfully on more than a dozen times with out issue, I am now getting errors at the package lvl. The only thing I have changed has been the categories in JAMF Pro in order to keep our instance clean. Categories should not have any influence on packages correct?

Executing Policy WFBS TrenMicro Installation Downloading https://server.services.jamfcloud.com//download/19727f945eb74fb797d9d257fa52498e/TrendMicro.dmg?token=mytokengoeshere Verifying DMG... Error: Could not verify the downloaded package. 1 Error: TrendMicro.dmg is corrupt. Running script TrendMicro Installation... Script exit code: 0 Script result: mkdir: /var/tmp/TrendMicro: File exists Running command installer -pkg /var/tmp/TrendMicro/WFBS-SVC_Agent_installer.pkg -target /... Result of command: installer: Error - the package path specified was invalid: '/var/tmp/TrendMicro/WFBS-SVC_Agent_installer.pkg'. Relaunching dock(s)... Running Recon... Retrieving inventory preferences from https://mycompanyname.jamfcloud.com/... Locating accounts... Locating package receipts... Searching path: /Applications Locating software updates... Locating printers... Locating hardware information (Mac OS X 10.14.5)... Gathering application usage information... Blessing i386 macOS System on /... Creating Reboot Script...

I have not changed or modified anything on the package since we compiled for creation.

mack525
Contributor II

@CorpIT_eB Have you tried re-packaging the installer app?

CorpIT_eB
Contributor II

@mack525 No, man I have not didn't want to mess with it since it was working so well. I will try and repackage it again next week and get back to you.

Just for self knowledge though Changing categories for policies and certain things in JAMF should not break any of your configurations correct?

mack525
Contributor II

@CorpIT_eB Changing policy categories should have no effect to this issue.

derrad
New Contributor III

May want to check with the Vendor. I ran into a similar issue with Avast, reached out to them let them know I was looking to have Jamf push out the package and they made a special package.

CorpIT_eB
Contributor II

@derrad Thanks it looks like it was just that sole machine that was added recently to the DEP as I created a new user today and it worked fine. But I have reached out to trend on multiple events for such an a reason, and was sent the link for mass deployment like x3 times.

They where not very helpful at all.

derrad
New Contributor III

Glad to hear you got it resolved. Sorry to hear they were not very helpful :(

Heavy_D
Contributor III

NOTE: This is officially broken on Catalina as it turns out that the "Security Agent" install is a x32 Bit installer. Therefore no longer working on Catalina Macs I have reached out to trend support on the matter.

TrendSupport:

Hi, Not to sure about what the equivalent version and build would be for the Mac variants as that information is decided by our back-end team. But as for now, the software in general is not compatible with the latest MacOS update. Best Regards, Timothy | Systems Engineer Global Support Services Trend Micro, Inc. "Securing Your Journey to the Cloud"

ETA on a new client, is being said to be sometime next month.

Heavy_D
Contributor III

@mack525

Hey Mac I was trying to update and the package and redeploy this again and I am ow getting the following error any ideas:

Executing Policy WFBS TrenMicro Installation
Downloading TrendMicro.pkg...
Downloading https://use1-jcds.services.jamfcloud.com//download/19727f945eb74fb797d9d257fa52498e/TrendMicro.pkg?token=mytokenID
Verifying package integrity...
Installation failed. The package could not be verified.
Running script TrendMicro Installation...
Script exit code: 0
Script result: rm: /var/tmp/TrendMicro/Identifier.plist: No such file or directory
Running command installer -pkg /var/tmp/TrendMicro/WFBS-SVC_Agent_installer.pkg -target /...
Result of command:
installer: Error - the package path specified was invalid: '/var/tmp/TrendMicro/WFBS-SVC_Agent_installer.pkg'.
Relaunching dock(s)...
Running Recon...
Retrieving inventory preferences from https://mycloud.jamfcloud.com/...
Locating accounts...
Locating package receipts...
Searching path: /System/Applications
Locating software updates...
Locating printers...
Locating hardware information (Mac OS X 10.15.1)...
Gathering application usage information...
Searching path: /Applications
Blessing i386 macOS System on /...
Creating Reboot Script...

mack525
Contributor II

10.15.1 has not been verified by Trend. It may be throwing this error @JarvisUno

Heavy_D
Contributor III

@mack525 they updated the client on the 18th. I installed it, on my Catalina test machine and it works but after trying to follow the setup processes here now it gave me that verification error. In theory if it's not verified wouldn't install manually correct?

UPDATE:
Today I re-packaged and changed the group permissions to: admin (80) it was set to wheel (0) flushed the Failed policy and it completed successfully this time. I am going to wipe the machine and re-do the Enrollment and hope it goes through without a hitch this time.

Executing Policy WFBS TrenMicro Installation
Downloading TrendMicro.pkg...
Downloading https://use1-jcds.services.jamfcloud.com//download/19727f945eb74fb797d9d257fa52498e/TrendMicro.pkg?token=mysecuretoken
Verifying package integrity...
Installing TrendMicro.pkg...
Successfully installed TrendMicro.pkg.
Running script TrendMicro Installation...
Script exit code: 0
Script result: mkdir: /var/tmp/TrendMicro: File exists
Running command installer -pkg /var/tmp/TrendMicro/WFBS-SVC_Agent_installer.pkg -target /...
Result of command:
installer: Package name is Trend Micro Security Agent
installer: Installing at base path /
installer: The install was successful.
Running Recon...
Retrieving inventory preferences from https://mycloud.jamfcloud.com/...
Locating accounts...
Locating package receipts...
Searching path: /System/Applications
Locating software updates...
Locating printers...
Searching path: /Applications
Locating hardware information (Mac OS X 10.15.1)...
Gathering application usage information...

mack525
Contributor II

@JarvisUno Sounds like you got it under control :) I've restricted our org from 10.15. i am glad i did. This would've caused some issues with our VPN.

Heavy_D
Contributor III

@mack525 Yea No one here has Catalina either, we had to restrict the update. I then had to scrabble for Apple's BOTCHED security update. All of this caused me, to prop up a NETSUS server and call it a day.

mack525
Contributor II

NETSUS to the rescue!!

sepiemoini
Contributor III
Contributor III

Howdy, all! I agree, TrendMicro's macOS deployment documentation is a bit outdated. I packaged things as described in the linked article--essentially following Steps 1-2 and then added the below postinstall.sh script using Jamf's Composer. This worked in my local testing. I haven't yet introduced this into a Jamf deployment (e.g. policy) but imagine that this would work just fine. As always, please test!

installer -pkg /private/var/tmp/TrendMicro/WFBS-SVC_Agent_Installer.pkg -target /
sleep 5
open -a /Applications/TrendMicroSecurity.app

Heavy_D
Contributor III

@mack525 Did you have to make any adjustments to your PPPC for Catalina at all? I curious because now that I been testing Catalina I am noticing the I had to update my PPPC settings for Trend to work.