upgrade from casper 8.62 to casper 9.0 - issue 5 - building and department values for a computer were erased

acdesigntech
Contributor II

I have a series of issues I'm running into in my upgrade testing from JSS 8.62 to JSS 9.0. I'll post each issue separately for sanitys' sake. FOr this series of issues: an "upgrade" is actually installing JSS 9 on a test server, restoring a 8.62 DB, then launching the WebApp to upgrade tables. I did not do an inplace upgrade since we are going to migrate server platforms and start from v9.0 on the new server.

Issue 5 - building and department values for a computer were erased after upgrading. Reconning a client again does not repopulate these fields, even though subnets are scoped to have default values. JAMF support is aware of this one and is working on it.

9 REPLIES 9

corbinmharris
Contributor

This happened after our upgrade and now faced with having to manually repopulate these fields :(

acdesigntech
Contributor II

best I can offer is JAMF is aware of this known issue and is working on fixing it in a maintenance release, per our TAM.

acdesigntech
Contributor II

This issue seems resolved in Casper 9.01

sleblanc
New Contributor

Hi all. It is not resolved for me: I've started filling up the department field until I noticed that the info is wiped out each time a machine checks in. This is very annoying because we rely heavily on department to apply rules.

acdesigntech
Contributor II

Susan,

Did you upgrade to 9.01 and then try to restore your database again (upgrade, drop the current database, then restore from an 8.x backup)? This is what I ended up doing and the location values seem to be holding in test.

Before I ended up restoring from backup again though, the values were left blank. I did not test filling them out again and then reconning though.

mvanvliet
New Contributor

sleblanc,

I'd say if its not resolved and you upgraded to 9.01 to make jamf support know so they can fix it. I have still yet to upgrade due to all the issues from 9.0 and 9.01 reported.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I now have one test machine enrolled to our 9.01 server. When we upgraded, we dropped the previous database, upgraded to 9.01 and restored from a version 8.71 db, so the same steps as outlined above more or less.

We have all our Network Segments pulled over and I verified that at least Building (not Department) is set for each NS properly, as they were under 8.71. Yet, the one enrolled Mac is not filling in the Building & Department data from the Network Segment its in. I just manually recon'ed, checked again and its not filing in automatically. So then I manually added the Building setting in for the computer record, recon'ed it again from the Mac, and when I check after in the JSS, the Building is now blanked out.
So, consider this another confirmation that this isn't properly resolved, at least not as far as I can see. Not only is it not filling it in as it should, its overriding a manually added setting and blanking it out. Not good.
I know one Mac doesn't constitute a great test, so I'll see what I can do about getting at least one more test Mac enrolled to see what the results are, but so far I'm not convinced this has been fixed.

acdesigntech
Contributor II

confirmed just now on my end too - even when a network segment is set to override a building/dept/etc in inventory, a recon does NOT change this new setting.

It's hard for us to maintain accurate dept settings based on NS, so we never set ours to override, which is maybe why I hadn't noticed it before.

But yes, these values are definitely NOT getting updated even if the NS is set to override settings in inventory. Note that my test did now show that the settings are being blanked out, just that they're not being changed as would be expected by setting a value to override what's in inventory.

gabester
Contributor III

It may be that you have an all-encompassing network segment in place? This may be a bug they're fixing: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=8874

Defect ID D-005656 was created last week in regards to the specific behavior exhibited where network segment overrides were not applying to devices within the network segment when an All Encompassing Network Segment was in place.