User log in freezing after password

Jason33
Contributor III

So I've had a few users on Big Sur reporting that after they enter their password, their systems freeze at the progress bar, and never get to the desktop. One user had it sit for several hours. Only doing a hard shut down and then logging in again worked. Anyone else have similar things happen? User is logging in at the pre-boot auth, and happened on Intel 13-inch MacBook Pro, and both M1 devices (Air, and 13-inch Pro).

18 REPLIES 18

ChrisTech
Contributor

I'm having issues with some users and their laptops also. When they wake the machine from sleep and enter their password, the machine freezes.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@Jason33 What version of Big Sur, and do you have McAfee installed on these machines? I've seen the behavior you describe with Big Sur 11.3.x and McAfee 10.7.6, but it seems to have stopped after upgrading to Big Sur 11.4

Jason33
Contributor III

@ChrisTech I havent seen this from waking from sleep, only with a full reboot.

@sdagley This is on 11.4; both users had just upgraded (one from 11.2 and the other from 11.3.1). We are not using McAfee products. For AV, we are using Crowdstrike.

sirsir
Contributor

I had a user report this to me today with a 13" MacBook Air running 10.14.6. Seems to have happened after the latest security update. Haven't gotten my hands on the device yet.

ChrisTech
Contributor

@sirsir Are you having the freezing after entering in password from wakeup? Our affected machines are on Mojave.

ChrisTech
Contributor

For me the last updates were:

macOS Mojave Security Update 2021-004 10.14.6 06/01/2021, 12:04:03
Safari 14.1.1 06/01/2021, 12:04:03

Installer.log shows:

041-91647 | Gatekeeper Configuration Data 140 061-26568 | CompatibilityNotificationData 1.0.6 061-26575 | Gatekeeper Configuration Data 181 071-40073 | MRTConfigData 1.79 071-47178 | XProtectPlistConfigData 2147

sirsir
Contributor

@ChrisTech Yes, entering password from wake is when it freezes. Hard booting will resolve until it sleeps again.

ChrisTech
Contributor

@sirsir same issue that I have. Users say an update was installed from Apple and after it rebooted from the update, they have had the issue. Waiting on some machines myself.

mariobarrera
New Contributor

So I was having the same problem with our computers, which are running Mojave. I just did a reinstall of the OS and it stared working.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

There is a known issue with the Mojave Security Update 2021-004 causing problems with Macs bound to AD

ChrisTech
Contributor

I did a policy softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Mojave Security Update 2021-004" for my Mojave machines and softwareupdate --ignore macOS "Catalina Security Update 2021-003" for my Catalina machines until I figure it out.

ChrisTech
Contributor

Can you post where you found the info @sdagley ?

Jason33
Contributor III

I decided to reinstall the OS on my test M1 MacBook Pro, and now my machine freezes after entering my password. During the OS install, at the first reboot the machine hung at the Apple logo with cursor, so I hard shut it down. When it came back up, I entered my password and it finished the installation. I logged in successfully, rebooted, entered my password, and its stuck at the progress bar now. I submitted feedback to Apple on this, but I dont know what good that will do.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

There has been no indication that installing Catalina Security Update 2021-003 causes the same issues with Kerberos that result from installing Mojave Security Update 2021-004

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@ChrisTech There are ongoing discussions on the MacAdmins Slack #mojave channel

brandonpeek
New Contributor III

If you have a login banner configured then you'll encounter this behavior on M1 Macs. Apple stated it is an issue with system profiler and they have released a fix in 11.5 Beta which I've confirmed to have addressed the issue.

Jason33
Contributor III

@brandonpeek I do indeed utilize a log in banner. Thanks for adding that info

sirsir
Contributor

Upgrading to Catalina and running the Catalina Security Update seems to have fixed the problem on my end.