vpp redownload call timed out <mdmclienterror:72>

mjames
Contributor

Hi,

I am seeing a lot of our systems having the "vpp redownload call timed out <mdmclienterror:72>" error when cliets try to install VPP apps via Self Service on MacOS (most clients are 10.14.2).

I have tried clearing the failed commands, reconning, re-enrolling etc with no luck.

I am hesitant to revoke all apps as I have seen suggested because I am concerned about the number of people who will experience iTunes notifications about apps not being assigned (the staff at this school are fragile...).

Any advice would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pbowden
Contributor III

@mjames @whitebeer The issue with storedownloadd crashing during MAS installs is fixed in 10.14.4 Beta 4 (18E205e). This is RADAR 47685116. Let me know if you still see problems after the update. For clarity, typical symptoms of this bug:
- Larger MAS apps like Xcode and Office fail to install and leave behind an .appdownload stub
- Needing to run multiple jamf recon commands to coerce apps to install
- MDMClientError:72 failed command seen in JSS

I've updated https://macadmins.software/mas with the latest info. The largest outstanding issue that I'm still tracking is the inability to update MAS apps through MDM when the user has the app perpetually open.

View solution in original post

407 REPLIES 407

Ajayv
New Contributor III

Today morning tried to install the all VVP app using self-Service on my Catalina test mac. installing perfectly for me.

DennisMX
Contributor II

@Ajayv lucky shot?
Catalina is not resolving this issue at our end

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Hey all, my Apple SE just sent me a note stating the following:
"Good Morning Gabe,

I just received confirmation that a server side change occurred that should resolve the issue. When you get a chance, could you please test to confirm and circle back with the results?"

I'd assume I will need to clear out all the failed commands and try having them check in again with a recon or a manage. I'll let you know if they actually did solve it.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

KyleEricson
Valued Contributor II

Tested on 10.15.1 still broken. :(

Read My Blog: https://www.ericsontech.com

thecrow93
New Contributor II

We are experiencing the same issues. I am putting in a ticket with apple. For us it has been going off and on for the last 6 months.

TxAg
New Contributor II

Not working for us. Still doing the recon/policy/cancel-all shuffle to get VPP apps to install.

KyleEricson
Valued Contributor II

Apple updated my case. I tried their idea and didn't work as I didn't have the file they asked me to remove.

From Apple#####

We deployed a server side fix yesterday, 11-20-2019, that we hope will serve to mitigate this behavior.

There are two parts to the effort to solve the behavior, this server side fix, and potential changes to macOS in the future.

Before you attempt to push/update the apps on the macOS system, I would recommend taking the following actions first.

1. sudo rm -r /var/root/Library/com.apple.appstore/CommerceRequestCache

2. Reboot the Mac

3. Retry updating/installing the macOS app(s)

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

So I heard maybe Apple is saying this is fixed? Anyone else seeing it resolved on their end?

TxAg
New Contributor II

@kericson, I think the path you have is missing a level. I found the file in /var/root/Library/Caches/com.apple.appstore. I tried to delete it and reboot but I still am getting the VPP time out error 72.

KyleEricson
Valued Contributor II

@TxAg Thanks that's what Apple had sent me. I didn't think it would fix the issue even if I had the right path, thanks for confirming that.

ChrisRybin
New Contributor II

Looks like it's working again for me. Let's wait and see if it also works when there is an App update.

analog_kid
Contributor

I also got pinged by Apple support that they've resolved the issue on their end. I ran a few tests and it seems to be fixed but I'd need to observe a bit longer to be 100%.

aarmas
New Contributor

Looks like were still seeing the issue for machines on 10.14.6 and 10.15.1 . :/

GregE
Contributor

Yeah still not working 10.15.1 here either. Logged a job with Jamf (as Excel and PowerPoint auto-updated, Remote Desktop, Outlook, Word, OneNote did not).

Did the usual things to get it working again, but we're still relying on workarounds rather than the issue being fixed. Guess we'll find out again in another month!

KyleEricson
Valued Contributor II

@GregE Lol yeah this is still broken..Maybe it will be fixed in macOS 10.16 Red Wood.

ikhlasberrazi
New Contributor II

After adjusting our firewall to allow all incoming traffic from the Apple IP range 17.0.0.0/8 issues were resolved. The previous role *.apple.com was not sufficient anymore.

symbolic78
New Contributor II

Just found a solution to this problem (vpp redownload call timed out <mdmclienterror:72>) which I thought I'd share in case anyone else has the same (or similar) setup in their networking.

So I've been trawling through log files looking for hints, taking tcpdumps and tracing network flows, and in the end decided to bypass every bit of our infrastructure piece by piece until I could find what was causing the problem, and it appears to be IBMs Quad Nine (9.9.9.9) DNS Resolver Service (in my case), connecting to our "guest wifi" i thought would solve the problem, but it didn't, upon closer inspection I saw that my DNS had been set to 9.9.9.9, the second i switched it over to 8.8.8.8 (Ciscos' offering) all the apps that I'd been having problems with immediately started to download.

So it appears that in this case something is being blocked upstream by Quad Nine (and perhaps other DNS providers) that is needed for this to work, I don't know what, and as its a "free" service, I don't expect to get any mileage out IBM in trying to investigate.

Hope this helps someone, check your DNS resolvers and check what your network team are doing, whether they are going straight to internet, or via an upstream resolver.

pchrichard
Contributor

this has suddenly resolved itself for me today...

kstrick
Contributor III

Hey, I just got an email from Apple support.....
It may be fixed.

We have a good news to share with you today about this case. Our Product Engineering updated that this issue should have been addressed by the server side fix deployed today. Being a server side change, macOS 10.15.x is not required in order to pick up the fix. Please test in your environment and verify the result.

So, let's hope this did the trick.

jsmythegloo
New Contributor

Im still getting the issue today.

KyleEricson
Valued Contributor II

Same still broken.

nigelmarrion
Contributor

Still broken here too

kstrick
Contributor III

Yeah, still broken for me too.... grrr

walt_bower
New Contributor II

It appears to be working for me.

Dylan_YYC
Contributor III

Thats wonderful the fix is for 10.15 and up, what about all my clients on 10.14.6 that are all broken? shakes fist

nigelmarrion
Contributor

It is not fixed in 10.15.1! I just enrolled 2 MacBooks (almost) at the same time. One has errors, the other does not.

KyleEricson
Valued Contributor II

Yeah not seeing anything fixed on 10.14.6 or 10.15.1

walt_bower
New Contributor II

False alarm. It was working for a little while for a few machines, but I'm now getting the same vpp redownload call timed out <mdmclienterror:72> message again.

rhooper
Contributor III

I received notice that they are trying different things in hopes that it will alleviate the issues we are all having. The first step is to perform a mass pending and failed app command clear.
Then try it again. I have several beta testers out in the live jungle but I have not touched base with them as yet, only been 1 day.

Waiting to hear.

mapi
New Contributor

Still happening here. 10.14.6 and 10.15.1

Ajayv
New Contributor III

Still not working here Too. 10.14.6 and 10.15.1

G_Schenk
New Contributor II

still broken

pchrichard
Contributor

broken again :|

mpout
New Contributor II

Been speaking to JAMF about it again today. From my discussions the issue is believed to be on Apple's end? JAMF asked me to RE-trigger the issue then run
sudo sysdiagnose

This will give you the logs that JAMF need to submit to Apple (providing it is in fact the timeout issue of course) and hopefully we can get this resolved, as it's driving me NUTS!

MikeT
New Contributor III

We were told by Applecare that they think this has been resolved. As of Nov. 26th this morning we run a number of tests and appears to be working "at the moment". If we see it again we will run the debug logging and send to them the results. I have had multiple techs at various school locations test and we can not get it to fail at the moment.

kstrick
Contributor III

I let Applecare know it wasn't resolved for us after friday, sent them a sysdiagnose and charles log per their followup request---
i was told today that others reported that the issue was not resolved yet. I have not run any extensive testing today, but I'm not going to consider it resolved until i see consistent positive results....

khurram
Contributor III

In our case when we were trying to force install it gave this error however making it only available in Self Service worked but the user still has to go and click the Install button.

dlondon
Valued Contributor

Still broken for me :(

emilh
New Contributor III

Since this seems to be a critical issue affecting many, if not all, JAMF Pro users I think it would be apt for JAMF to officially comment on the progress (or lack thereof) they are having with pursuing this issue with Apple.

KyleEricson
Valued Contributor II

Come on Apple we need this fixed, you're really dropping the ball here. All I want for Christmas is VPP to work!