WHHHAAAAATTTT... Jamf 350.. CJA...

kerouak
Valued Contributor

So, This course is no longer available???

Apparently, it's going to be an online course from now on but there's no ETA for this..

Really, What the hell is going on..

ALSO, Does this mean that the Jamf training pass will be reduced in price accordingly????

after all these years, I'm really starting to lose faith in jamf...
It's a sad day for me, really...

And I thought that Apple were trying to shaft me recently???

SAD DAYS INDEED!!!

21 REPLIES 21

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

Pretty much every other major MDM provider (VMware, Microsoft [lol]) offers online training. This is a smart move by Jamf and probably a long time coming.

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

The weird thing is that they recently re-designed the Jamf 300 course to be more like the Jamf 400 course. I imagine those aren't going to be online training. I'm guessing since Jamf 350 was a little different than the other courses, it's the one exception they'll make? Just a guess on my end.

kerouak
Valued Contributor

@EmilyJohnson35

Really?

What about the chance of 1 to 1 questioning during the course??

I personally think it's a step backwards..
AND, I'd like to say that there wasno communication from jamf telling us of this!!!!

kerouak
Valued Contributor

So, there is no expense for the buildings / rooms etc. to host the training courses... Um jamf, does that mean that we will get a discount on the training pass that we paid for this year???

probably not,...

:-(

chris_kemp
Contributor III

I'm all for this, I don't think they've ever done a CJE in Atlanta. Being able to access the training from anywhere is a huge help.

BrandonMills
New Contributor

Is it officially done with? I emailed JAMF just a couple weeks ago asking where the JAMF 350 classes were, and they said they'd be posting more soon. So is it confirmed there will be no more 350 classes? I'd really like a response from JAMF on this as I need to book my next training trip, and I wanted it to be the JAMF 350, but if those are done, then I need to make other plans.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

I always wondered why the 350 course was stuck between the 300 and 400 courses.

The 350 is its own track, seems like...you don't need to have experience with the product.

In any case, looking forward to seeing what's coming.

FWIW, I'm fine with virtual classes...if its the kind where you can interact with the virtual teacher/peers.

--
https://donmontalvo.com

kerouak
Valued Contributor

There is a 350 but it gonna be online. And btw, there are many companies that have jpss on different platforms so this course is VERY RELEVANT!!
And, i was informed by my company that i would get a skills pay rise on completion of this course.. as i said, losing faith every day 😡😡😡

goneafk
New Contributor II

This is exciting news. I hope more of their training moves online. The only reason why I'm not certified at all, let alone at a 350 level is that training is not offered in my area and it's a large investment to do so.

So I hope all the training goes digital, and is supplemented by in person classes when appropriate.

tnielsen
Valued Contributor

I didn't even know there was a 350 level course!

Online courses are sort of bogus in my opinion. Some topics are best taught in person, specifically technical ones where 1on1 questing for clarity is extremely important.

BrandonMills
New Contributor

Contacted JAMF. Hope to have a response soon.

Taylor_Armstron
Valued Contributor

Hey, if online means < $2500.... hard to argue.

Stephen_Perry
New Contributor III

0ff7fef7dcf748dbbadafc9b695635c4

scottb
Honored Contributor

Yeah, lots of us don't get training budgets or local classes, let alone budgets for travel/hotels.
In 2018, online is gaining huge ground. Why would JAMF not do this when you can get college degrees online? I'm not going to argue the streamlining of online courses. Yes, you lose one on one, or one on 12, but the online resources are so vast these days, I'm not sure it's a net loss. Yet.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

If Jamf moves some of their courses to online versions, I might actually splurge and get certified again. There will always be the cost of the courses themselves which need to be justified, but on top of that, traveling isn't cheap or easy, whether its because of work, family obligations or whatever. I can make the time to do an online course from my home though.

As for whether this will degrade the effectiveness of the course(s), that remains to be seen. It could certainly do that, but it's all going to depend on how well the course is designed and what kind of resources an attendee has access to, and how quickly you can get answers or help. IOW, done right, it could be just fine. Done wrong and it could be a disaster. It might be a better idea to wait and see which it will be before we pass judgement on it.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@goneafk +1

--
https://donmontalvo.com

rderewianko
Valued Contributor II

We can always speculate into why.. But like any company jamf has a reason and plan for this change. We'll just have to wait and see.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

Add me to the unhappy list for this change. I was planning on taking the Jamf 350 course this fall even though it's been less than 2 years since I took the CJA course due to word on changes (load balancing expanded, memcached configuration added). I think it's going to be very hard to replicate the interaction aspect of the classroom environment with an online version of the CJA/Jamf 350 course. And I mean interaction between students about the course material, not just between student and teacher. Let's hope whatever Jamf puts online does a good job of replicating that interactivity rather than being something "self paced" (I need an emoji that conveys a sense of loathing here).

crbeck
Contributor
ALSO, Does this mean that the Jamf training pass will be reduced in price accordingly????

Doubt it because they just recently doubled the price of the organization training pass and added a limit of 5 users per organization training pass. I complained about the massive price hike and change in quality of the classes very recently, one of the education services folks sent me some info and things about the new online training. Looks interesting if it'll still lead to the certifications and if they maintain the training to keep up with new features and changes. The in person class was almost always on the most recent version of Jamf and the instructor would provide notes or changes if it affected the class.

djdavetrouble
Contributor III

This fits with the cloud first strategy. Expect on-prem to be the least important installation type very soon...

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

You mean Jamf Cloud first strategy. If your desired installation type is a JSS hosted in a private AWS cloud the Jamf 350 would be helpful even though it's not cloud focused.