Jamf removes screen time code in iPad?

paulaner1980
New Contributor

Hi everyone, 

I set a code every afternoon on the iPad of my daughter to set screen time limits. The iPad also has Jamf School to restrict the usage of applications while children are in the school. 

Every time I check in family, the code enforcement is gone.

Either my daughter knows how to hack it, or Jamf is interfering with family. 

I would like to ask you, if you have experience something similar? 

Best regards, 

Paul 

4 REPLIES 4

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

I don't think MDM can remove a Parental Controls password, that technically is not on the iPad but rather configured through the AppleID via APNS. I suggest setting a complex password and not something easily guessable by your child. Either way, Parental Controls is outside of the domain of MDM, and I recommend bringing this question up on Apples discussion forums. 

Lasse
Contributor

As AJPinto says, Parental Controls in iOS are not easily changed in MDM, but if you're using Jamf Parent it is a different set of settings we can manage in Jamf School. I'm confused how this iPad is managed. 

Is it a school/company owned device you are allowed to take home, or a private device enrolled to the schools Jamf School as MDM? For a school owned device supervised in Jamf School, Jamf Parent restrictions are not applicable during school hours. Weekends might be starting at unlimited use if that is set in Jamf School.

paulaner1980
New Contributor

Hi @Lasse,

Many thanks for your comment. 

I bought the iPad in a store suggested by the school, together with a lifetime Jamf School License. 

The iPad arrived pre-configured from the store, and the children use them in the school, where they have limited access to some applications. 

I configured parental control by myself using the native iOS functionality, which includes a password to protect the settings. After my daughter returns from school, these settings are removed. 

I set everything again at the beginning of the holidays and by now screen time and other restrictions are still working (children return to the school in Bavaria in September). That reinforces my hypothesis of Jamf reseting stuffs in the school network, or maybe a friend in the school knows how to hack native parental control 😁

Lasse
Contributor

I don't know if the school IT is working through the school vacation, but it seems like Jamf School somehow is interfering. Let them know, and see if they can start a support case for their environment.

Otherwise, Jamf Parent is meant to replace much of the functionality, if turned on by the school. I think the Jamf Parent feature is the least they could turn on as you have paid for a device they enroll to the school system, and a license for it.