Configuration Profile - Directory vs Policy - Directory Bindings

atomason
New Contributor III

Can anyone explain the difference between using Configuration Profile - Directory or Policy - Directory Bindings when trying to bind devices to the domain? I'm not sure if there is a use case for either/or depending on what you are doing. Also, under Configuration Profile - Directory I noticed it wants the Client ID and the Organizational Unit, but I'm not sure what values I need to pull from AD to fill in those blanks. Thanks!

Snuffleupagus_0-1649336056072.png

1 REPLY 1

joshuasee
Contributor III

I've found policy based directory binding more reliable than config profile ones, especially if you have to change the scope, but its been awhile since I've tried the latter.

Client ID is the name for the computer in AD. It is unique to the machine, hence the profile in Jamf usually has a variable such as $SERIALNUMBER in that field. Ask your AD administrator what the naming convention for your institution is. 

Organizational Unit is where the computer will appear in the AD hierarchy. It corresponds to classes of computers, such as lab vs office machines. Ask your AD admin what should go there.