Disable users setting passcodes

tim_lane
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I posted this in the MACADMINS slack group, but though I should try here as well.

Anyone know if it is possible to completely disable a user setting a passcode on a device?
Last time I looked apple wasn't too keen on the idea, which in theory makes sense as a passcode is securing the device..

Just asking as I am trying to disable to prompt for a passcode after the update to iOS10

4 REPLIES 4

tim_lane
New Contributor II

Even if there was just a way to disable the prompt for a passcode after an update I would be more than happy! :)

tsossong
New Contributor III

Hi, if you use DEP and PreStageEnrollment you can avoid the passcode request. I think that will also prevent the passcode requests after updates. As Jamf and Apple wants to give the user the experiance even a managed device is in control of the user I dont think there is a way to prevent the user from setting a password at the iOS settings menu. But if a device has a user set passcode you dont know and its still connected to Wifi you can use the Management pane in Jamf Pro (formally known as Casper) to "Clear Passcode" and that works pretty well.

canopimp
New Contributor III

I am not sure if you can completely prevent the device from allowing a passcode to be set. I do know that if a passcode was set by the user as the result of a policy requiring a passcode, and you remove that policy from the device, the end user will have to manually go into settings and remove their passcode. The removal of the policy unfortunately does not remove the passcode if one is set. You then would have to do what @tsossong said and send the Clear Passcode command to all of the devices.

So with clearing the passcode, it might be the way around it and unfortunately I don't think you can scope out an action to happen at a reoccurring interval on the iPads that had a passcode set to automatically remove it.

You can however make a smart group for all the devices that have a passcode and manually send the command to Clear Passcode to all of the devices in that smart group at one time. When you 'View' the contents of the smart group, click on 'Actions' at the bottom, choose 'Send Remote Commands' from the list and 'Clear Passcode (does not apply to personally owned devices)' is one that you can send to the group. Granted they are not personally owned of course.

jouwstrab
New Contributor III

You can set a configuration profile to hide the password section in the settings. That way if like @tsossong said, you disable passwords during setup via the DEP settings, the users will never be prompted. 412ad5f4d4334166a96be3ef8cb0fea4