Download Security Update 2021-001 for Catalina

mhasman
Valued Contributor

Does anyone have URL to download Security Update 2021-001 for macOS 10.15 Catalina?

Is so, would you share, please? Thanks!

38 REPLIES 38

gabester
Contributor III

@mhasman Just published - https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2068 - for Catalina 2021-001... but nothing yet for Mojave 2021-001. :-(

Tempting me to put Boot Camp on my Intel Macs and get actual timely OS updates and patches from a real OS vendor who understands supporting technologies from more than 2 years ago. :-p

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

Be aware that Security Update 2021-001 Catalina does not include the fix for CVE-2021-3156 (sudo vulnerability). For that you'll need macOS Catalina 10.15.7 Supplemental Update 10.15.7 which is not yet available to download from support.apple.com (it is however available to install via Software Update)

mhasman
Valued Contributor

Question now is where to download Supplemental Update 10.15.7 02/09/2021 :)

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

Or more to the point, how long will it take Apple to release the standalone .pkg installer for it? It was 8 days from Security Update 2021-001 Catalina being released via Software Update and the .pkg becoming available from support.apple.com. Let's hope Apple beats that time with the macOS Catalina 10.15.7 Supplemental Update 10.15.7 .pkg.

gabester
Contributor III

@sdagley I'd like to think the prolific complaining I have been doing in the past week has helped - they're all posted as downloads now... but not well-named, and ever since Security Update 2020-006 for Mojave I think Apple owes it to us to at least state on the download page whether the update is cumulative or requires the preceding version be installed.

For example, what's the difference between:
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2068 - Security Update 2021-001 (Catalina)
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2071 - Security Update 2021-001 (Catalina)

A few minutes ago those pages were identical although except for the download links; while the text of the latter has been updated to read "macOS Catalina 10.15.7 supplemental update" but the header still says Security Update 2021-001 (Catalina)

You would think with the marketing budget Apple has they could pay someone enough to ensure consistency in release naming... they're not winning any bonus points from me:

Big Sur = minor point release
Catalina = supplemental update
Mojave = security update

Speaking of Mojave here's the latest:
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2070 - Security Update 2021-002 for Mojave
And for those who - I can't anticipate why - might really need it:
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2069 - Security Update 2021-001 for Mojave

A penultimate complaint - this naming scheme (or lack thereof) is really going to muddy the waters when the NEXT security updates are released... presumably we'll be looking at 2021-003 for Mojave, 2021-002 for Catalina, and Big Sur 11.2.2 or 11.3.1 depending on how far Apple's progressed with features before zero days require them to patch again. leading me to...

One final complaint - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212177 defining the security content says it fixes the sudo vulnerability - CVE-2021-3156 - as well as a couple Intel graphics drivers. Do we really need to download 1.7GB+ to each Mac needing updates for a 500k binary (sudo) plus generously 500MB for the graphics drivers? How I miss the old days of incremental updaters and combo updaters... if your fleet's well maintained you should only need to push the 500k to fix sudo!

Oh, to end on a useful note, in my correspondence with Apple where I was complaining about the lack of standalone downloads from the support site, I was advised that, for limited testing on isolated systems that couldn't run software update, one could always download the associated assets from the same catalog ID along with the .dist file, and with them all in the same folder, run:

/usr/sbin/installer -target / -pkg /path/to/folder/with/pkgs.dist

I had no idea you could do that with the .dist files, I always wondered what purpose they served! Mind you this is for TESTING and specifically NOT RECOMMENDED for deployment to your fleet... but it's another tool in my belt.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@gabester Thanks for sharing that .dist trick, but after looking at today's version of Security Update 2021-001 with a post date of 2021-02-08 (https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2071?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US) as opposed to the version made available yesterday with a post date of 2021-02-05 (https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2068?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US) it appears that Apple is re-writing history by re-releasing macOS Catalina 10.15.7 Supplemental Update 10.15.7 as Security Update 2021-001 (Catalina)

carlo_anselmi
Contributor III

@sdagley according to my NetSUS, they re-released "macOS Catalina Security Update 2021-001" (19H524) and there's the "macOS Catalina 10.15.7 Supplemental Update" maybe is the latter for those Macs with the first release of "Security Update 2021-001" installed (19H512) ???

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@carlo.anselmi Probably as users seeing Security Update 2021-001 (Catalina) re-appear after it was installed would be a definite cause of confusion.

carlo_anselmi
Contributor III

@sdagley I agree
Well explained and links here

tomt
Valued Contributor

Is there a direct link anywhere to the actual February 9th release (only available in Software Update)? Everything I can find is the "older" 20201-001 released on 2-8-2021.

gabester
Contributor III

@tomt https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2071 is the URL to download the DMG containing the standalone pkg, which is effectively a combo updater for Catalina 10.15.7 to build 19H524. You don't need to install the previous same-named Security Update 2021-001 to build 19H512 first.

tomt
Valued Contributor

@gabester So I downloaded the file you linked to and attempted to install it on a 2018 MBP with OS build 19H15. Install failed.

I think I'm slowly losing my mind. Time to wipe this box and start again. Just in case it is something on this particular machine. I do appreciate the help so far.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@tomt Any chance that Mac is subject to SSL inspection on traffic to external sites? One thing that .pkg doesn't contain is the bridgeOS update for Build 16H524. That has to be downloaded from Apple's servers, and will fail if SSL inspection is used.

tomt
Valued Contributor

@sdagley That's a good thought. While it's possible our messed up network could be doing inspection, I've had Apple's CDNs added to our bypass list for a while now. I'm thinking you are onto something with the bridgeOS update being a prerequisite.

I miss the days of simple Combo updates...

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@tomt It's an ongoing battle :-). Note that Apple did update the Use Apple products on enterprise networks KB article in December, and there are several additions that I'm guessing are Big Sur related.

tomt
Valued Contributor

Bridge versions are identical between my successful machine and the failing one. iBridge: 18.16.14346.0.0,0

tomt
Valued Contributor

This is getting weirder...

Command Line update fails on both Jamf and Manual with the following error. This is while not on VPN and I had removed our public proxy just to be sure.

11d17e358f6c4c98905a2b923bb5b4c9

Then I used the system preference update and it went through fine. Unfortunately my users will not be able to do that.

mhasman
Valued Contributor

@tomt Same here. Getting tons of errors deploying system updates with downloaded packages and/or by pushing simple, correct "softwareupdate" command - and manual software updates by System Preferences are executing properly

tomt
Valued Contributor

@mhasman Well, at least I'm not crazy. :)

tomt
Valued Contributor

Has anyone found a solid way of deploying this update? I need to get all my systems on 19H524 but the softwareupdate commands are failing.

unclemac
New Contributor II

I just downloaded the installer via the link above, and installed the .pkg via ARD with no issues.

tomt
Valued Contributor

@unclemac What build were you on before the update?

unclemac
New Contributor II

Some were 19H2, and some were 19H15. All updated with the Install function in ARD pushing out the pkg.

Now reporting 19H524.

tomt
Valued Contributor

Thanks @unclemac, it gives me something to look at. Of course our security blocks the install function of ARD (I'm lucky to have remote control capabilities at all), but this gives me something to go on.

mhasman
Valued Contributor

I put that pkg attached to the police for Macs with 10.5.7 but not 19H524. Still getting "failed" during the installation with Self Service. Not all, but some. Never happened before with Apple's combo updates. IMO means Software Updates provides something else

tomt
Valued Contributor

@mhasman I think that's the issue with using the package, it is NOT a combo installer. So I'm guessing that there is something missing that it is looking for.

I just wiped my test machine, reinstalled Catalina 19H1 I think, then I ran softwareupdate --install -a --restart and it fully updated to H524. This had failed before, but, it was with our WSS proxy in place. I also ran across a post referencing tbsc.apple.com as something new in the MacOS update pipeline.

So now I'm going to wipe and start again with everything except the WSS in place. I really hope this gets me somewhere.

tomt
Valued Contributor

Hi, @gabester,

I saw this portion of your post and decided to give it a try. It gave me some hope for getting these machines updated.

Oh, to end on a useful note, in my correspondence with Apple where I was complaining about the lack of standalone downloads from the support site, I was advised that, for limited testing on isolated systems that couldn't run software update, one could always download the associated assets from the same catalog ID along with the .dist file, and with them all in the same folder, run: /usr/sbin/installer -target / -pkg /path/to/folder/with/pkgs.dist I had no idea you could do that with the .dist files, I always wondered what purpose they served! Mind you this is for TESTING and specifically NOT RECOMMENDED for deployment to your fleet... but it's another tool in my belt.

However, when trying it, it seemed to start correctly but then threw an error "The package is attempting to install content to the system volume.". So much for my hopes.

mhasman
Valued Contributor

Hello,
Does anybody have the url to download Catalina Security Update 2021-002?

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

mhasman
Valued Contributor

@sdagley Thank you, Steve!

gabester
Contributor III

I do not miss this struggle, having finally implemented a caching server setup, just using the native softwareupdate command line and/or the jamf software update method has made my life easier. No doubt in the next week I'll run into some edge case that necessitates my revisiting this unpleasantness.

mhasman
Valued Contributor

Hello! Does anyone have Security Update 2021-003 (Catalina) download URL, please?

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@mhasman Apple finally released the standalone Catalina Security Update 2021-003 .pkg installer on 2021-06-02. Here is the link for the KB article with the download link: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2075?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Mhomar
Contributor

Hello! Does anyone have Security Update 2021-004 (Mojave) download URL, please?

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@Mhomar Apple finally released the standalone Mojave Security Update 2021-004 .pkg installer on 2021-06-02. Here is the link for the KB article with the download link: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2074?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Unfortunately there is currently nothing at that link as Apple appears to have forgotten that they have customers that do actually need standalone .pkg installers for security updates.

Mhomar
Contributor

Thank you so much!

mhasman
Valued Contributor

@sdagley Thank you!

mhasman
Valued Contributor

Please share Security Update 2021-004 for Catalina download URL. Thanks!