Files and Processes and Catalina or older OSes

Lhsachs
Contributor II

I'm working on a policy that calls a second policy:

Policy1 - install X piece of Software (don't force restart)
Policy2 - Force a restart using a Jamf helper script set with a 2.5 hour time limit. (management request) The script creates a custom window with logo and is using an adaption of Bill Smith's Countdown script. https://gist.github.com/talkingmoose/3d405eb9dc8ce99a48cda9d9f7609a4f

Policy 1 ends with 'File and Processes' call to start the second policy. Has anyone found a way to handle the difference between Catalina and pre-Catalina?

Pre-catalina: /usr/bin/local/jamf policy -event 'ForcedRestart'
Catalina: /usr/bin/local/jamf/bin/jamf policy -event 'ForcedRestart'

You may ask why I'm using the 2 policies instead of an after script. It seems that when set up with the ForcedRestart script - I wasn't getting the complete tag on policies... they stayed pending....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Lhsachs
Contributor II

The solution - thank you Abbie in support.... Don't use the full path in "Files and Processes" just use the Jamf command:
jamf policy -event ForcedRestart
tested and working in both older OSes and Catalina
(that's what I get for using full paths... ;-} )

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mschroder
Valued Contributor

'which jamf' gives me '/usr/local/bin/jamf' even on macOS 10.15. I have several policies that use '/usr/local/bin/jamf', and they continue to work under Catalina. So I see no need to find out the OS version and use a separate path for Catalina.

I think it is ages ago that jamf was not under /usr/local. Wait, which JSS version are you using?

Tangentism
Contributor II

You can use some code to sort out the links to the Jamf binary:

Cant remember who I got this from but it was on this board

if [ -L "/usr/local/bin" ] ; then
  rm "/usr/local/bin"
  mkdir "/usr/local/bin"
  ln -s "/usr/local/jamf/bin/jamf" "/usr/local/bin/jamf"
  ln -s "/usr/local/jamf/bin/jamfAgent" "/usr/local/bin/jamfAgent"
  chown -R root:wheel "/usr/local/bin"
fi

Lhsachs
Contributor II

The solution - thank you Abbie in support.... Don't use the full path in "Files and Processes" just use the Jamf command:
jamf policy -event ForcedRestart
tested and working in both older OSes and Catalina
(that's what I get for using full paths... ;-} )

mschroder
Valued Contributor

I think that is a bad recommendation. I would recommend to always use full paths in scripts - just to make sure that I execute exactly the command that I want and not something else that has the same name and sits somewhere on the paths, or an alias to the same or another command which some unsuitable options applied.