Having templates show up to end users in Office 2016

PhillyPhoto
Valued Contributor

So I'm looking at this guide on Office templates. I created a DMG and did FUT/FEU to deploy the templates. I see them in the "/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/My Templates" folder. But I want my end users to just open Word, Excel or whatever and have the templates show up in the main screen along with the rest of the templates:

d95c638c1371412b9dac381d8a73678d

Has anyone done this before in Office 2016?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

m_entholzner
Contributor III
Contributor III

Laying down templates in the user home directory is not ideal - I'd recommend using

/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office365/User Content.localized/Templates.localized

instead... This path applies to all users and a package can be used instead of a dmg with FUT/FEU.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

PhillyPhoto
Valued Contributor

Looking around a little more, it looks like it's actually ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content.localized/Templates.localized to get it to show up in that window.

m_entholzner
Contributor III
Contributor III

Laying down templates in the user home directory is not ideal - I'd recommend using

/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office365/User Content.localized/Templates.localized

instead... This path applies to all users and a package can be used instead of a dmg with FUT/FEU.

Thanks! I had to make the template files be readable AND executable by all (chmod 755 blah.potx) before they'd be visible in PowerPoint.

PhillyPhoto
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the updated info! I didn't have the directory with my Office install, but making it with the pkg seems to work. This is actually a better solution, as I'm deploying some fonts with this install, and it's nice to run everything all at once. Thanks!

jamest
New Contributor

I tried to copy the files to ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content.localized/Templates.localized but when I open Word the templates are not showing up. Any ideas?

PhillyPhoto
Valued Contributor

What are the file permissions? I used Composer and set them to root/wheel instead of individual users.

Also, try using the general location for all users from m.entholzner:

vanschip-gerard
Contributor

@m.entholzner Is that:

Still valid for 2019 version of O365? Not seeing that folder structure.

talkingmoose

@vanschip-gerard, that's still a valid location for Office 2019/365.

Here's a detailed document about how to use it: https://macadmins.software/docs/UserContentIn2016.pdf.

MacKobus
New Contributor II

Is anyone noticing issues with this path now? We've had our Word and Powerpoint templates there for some time now, applications are now no longer seeing them.

grahamrpugh
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@MacKobus I've arrived here because I have the same problem. Our design team just updated our templates, so I just used a script to delete the old templates and deploy the new ones into the common path. Word is seeing the new templates as well as the old ones. PowerPoint is not seeing any of our templates.

cranium
New Contributor

Hello, with us it is the other way round, powerpoint gets the template but the word template does not get picked up by Word. Anyone have a similar issue and got this solved?