The new release of Composer broken?

ajfunk
Contributor

I've got the newest version of Jamf Pro on two different Macs running two different versions of macOS. I've created a source for two different applications on each machine, however when I go to remove folders from the source, I click to confirm deletion and the confirmation window will not disappear. I have to cmd-alt-esc and force close Composer in order to do anything further.

Is anyone having this problem?

17 REPLIES 17

dbrisser
New Contributor II

I am having this issue as well on one of my test machines. I tried it on another Mac and was able to remove folders and build a .pkg just fine. The computer having trouble with Composer is running 10.12.6 and the one that worked us running 10.13.3.

ajfunk
Contributor

Both of my test Macs have Sierra installed - I'm trying a test Mac with HS on it now.

EDIT: Composer on High Sierra doesn't seem to have this problem. It seems to just be on Sierra machines.

mpeski
New Contributor III

I just discovered the same over here. We use Sierra and Composer 10.2.2 doesn't work. It hangs on one Mac while making a snapshot and on another Mac I cannot delete files.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

While I haven't run into this myself since I'm not on a more recent release yet, I believe this is a known issue. Do some searches for other similar threads and you'll find the discussions on it.
The good news is Composer is not like the other applications, like Jamf Admin, etc. You can revert back to an older release by downloading a previous version from your Assets tab under your account here and use it. Composer is not tied to the version of Jamf Pro you're using.

MacSysAdmin
Contributor

10.12.6 and 10.2.x issue (PI-005356)

mpeski
New Contributor III

@mm2270 : Good idea, the old version still works indeed. I should have thought about that immediately.

mconners
Valued Contributor

Hello all, we had the same issue a couple of 10.x releases ago. To get around it, we reverted Composer back to 9.101 and things have been fine since. For those that are unfamiliar on how to find 9.101 like I was, simply go to your assets page and look for older releases and it should be there.

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

I was told by two people at Jamf that this was supposed to be resolved with 10.3, but I guess they are still running into problems fixing it. I can't use Composer on High Sierra since it will only create DMGs as APFS volumes.

mconners
Valued Contributor

To be honest @howie_isaacks I spent the better part of 3-4 weeks in deep troubleshooting mode with Apple engineering and Jamf engineering because we had packages not deploying properly. As it is appears, those packages have been DMGs, some created a few years ago.

I have since started to move away from DMGs and to PKGs. Using Composer to pull up the original DMG and then I convert over to PKG. This has so far been working for us. My advice would be to move away from DMG's if at all possible. I really hated the month of March as I spent all the time here at work chasing ghosts, spinning up new servers, testing network switches and much more only to find DMGs not being reliable.

jyoti
New Contributor

I just did force quit on Composer (by mistake) and now I am not able to open it. In activity monitor, process for composer saying not responding. I tried to re-install it but still no luck.Can any one has any solution?

Using Jamf Pro : 10.19.0 version

mm2270

@jyoti Silly question perhaps, but have you actually tried restarting your Mac? I’m guessing that would clear up any stuck processes.

jyoti
New Contributor

@mm2270 : Thank you for your reply.
I tried everything multiple times and that is the reason I added post here.Now the issue is resolved.
I removed all cached data on my machine related to composer and all files deleted having composer content.
All these steps I have done many times and some how it is working now.

emadams
New Contributor III

@jyoti I am having the same issue you reported. Composer will not open. What were the steps you completed to get yours running? I am not sure where all the cached data is located that is related to composer.

tkamps
New Contributor

On Catalina, I get the prompt to allow full disk access every time I open it but it is already allowed. This is with Composer 10.19 which seems like the latest version.

Restarted Mac with same results.

danny_gutman
New Contributor III

I also am unable to open Composer anymore. Tried rebooting, reverting to older version of Composer (10.18), clearing caches, plist. Damn.

mm2270

What is the error everyone is getting when trying to open Composer? Also, is this only happening on Catalina or are people experiencing this on older macOS versions too?

jhuls
Contributor III