Yosemite NetBoot/NetInstall

taugust04
Valued Contributor

Issue:

Just created a 10.10 NetInstall Image, using the 10.10 System Image Utility. Copied it up to my NetBoot Server running 10.9.5 and the most recent version of Server 3. The NetInstall image isn't displayed in the list of images. All my other NetBoot and NetInstall images are being displayed okay (just built a 10.9.5 NetInstall too, and it installed fine). In the past, there wasn't a requirement to have the most recent OS to serve out the most current OS NetInstalls (for example, I was serving OS X 10.9 NetInstall Images on my 10.6.8 Server before I upgraded). Is anyone else running into this? I tried rebuilding the NetInstall twice, to make sure it wasn't just a corrupted build from SIU.

~Ted

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

No problems here. Spaces or no.

My images have been created either with Casper NetInstall Creator (https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/viewProduct.html?id=13&view=info) or my own AutoCasperNBI (https://macmule.com/AutoCasperNBI).

Server(s) are all 10.9.x.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

winningham_2
Contributor

Any spaces in your NetInstall name?

bentoms

No problems here. Spaces or no.

My images have been created either with Casper NetInstall Creator (https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/viewProduct.html?id=13&view=info) or my own AutoCasperNBI (https://macmule.com/AutoCasperNBI).

Server(s) are all 10.9.x.

taugust04
Valued Contributor

To clarify: this is just a base OS X NetInstall image - not one for imaging use with Casper. I usually build one just for testing if I need a clean install of OS X outside of Casper. Since other methods are working, I will investigate further. Thanks!

~Ted

htse
Contributor III

I've got 10.10 NetInstall and NetRestore images served through 10.6 and 10.7.

It's not likely, since you've already created the image twice, but is there a chance there may be a conflicting number in the index?

brandonusher
Contributor II

I had the same issue and had to restart the NetBoot service before the new images showed up.

dkagle
New Contributor III

By the way @bentoms, thank you for all of your hard work on AutoCasperNBI. I used it today to create my first test 10.10 netboot image. All working well hosted from the Casper Net/SUS appliance in a Ubuntu VM :)

taugust04
Valued Contributor

Not sure what the issue was - but the third time was the charm. I rebooted the computer I was building the NetInstall image on, then tried again, and the third one was able to be copied to the Mavericks NetBoot Server and enabled without issue. I'm thinking a service or background process was preventing the NetInstall image from being created correctly - odd since its a clean install in the first place. Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

~Ted

dogden
New Contributor III

Hey Ted, I have the same issue as well. I used SIU from a system running 10.10 and made a NetRestore image however. But the same result on the 10.9.5 Server. I restarted the service before the 10.10 image would show up as a restore source. I've tried several time to run the restore over our network the same have I have for all previous versions, but for some reason 10.10 hangs half-way through the boot process (the new skinny iOS-like progress bar stalls almost at 50%). Not sure where to go from here, except a testing on a different server or making another new image.

mtk
New Contributor III

dogden: I'm running into the same issue. I have a brand new machine running 10.10.1. I downloaded the fresh 10.10.1 installer, and installed Server.app on the machine. I then used System Image Utility to create a Netinstall set. Every machine I've tried to NetBoot hangs at ~50%.

mtk
New Contributor III

dogden: Did some more troubleshooting. In the image settings in Netinstall in Server.app I changed the "Make available over" option from HTTP to NFS. Computers now boot just fine. I guess it defaults to HTTP.

tnielsen
Valued Contributor

Has System Image Utility always NOt been backwards compatible? Say I want to create Mavericks netinstall/boot/restore images... Do I need a Mavericks computer to do so?

bentoms

@tnielsen, Yep. But I use AutoCasperNBI as mentioned above & that works.