Creating Smart Computer Group for Subnets

sepiemoini
Contributor III
Contributor III

This doesn't seem to be an inherently obvious thing to create so reaching out to the JAMF community for some guidance. I am trying to create a few different Smart Computer Groups which target specific subnets. I have tried using the "like" operator and the "IP Address" variable for the criteria. Please be mindful that we do not use the building or site feature in our JSS instance so that data is not readily available.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

SCOPE > LIMITATIONS > NETWORK SEGMENTS

I'm not aware of there needing to be any requirement for AD/LDAP.

Yes you can tie a building to a network segment. But it's not a requirement.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

millersc
Valued Contributor

IP address <like> xx.xx.

Does give me a proper subnet for that building on my network. I guess this would depend on how well you IP schema was built. We are very strict about building and IP, then break it down even further with wired and wifi.

So you could do two criteria:
IP address <like> xx.10.
and
IP address <like> xx.11.

This would result in getting the wifi networked macs.

perrycj
Contributor III

I know you stated you don't use it but if you were some how able to get Buildings in to your JSS, that would be the easiest way.

It would be nice if the JSS could just have network segments as criteria, but that doesn't exist as of now. At least with buildings, you can assign a building to a network segment and then scope in your smart group appropriately.

sepiemoini
Contributor III
Contributor III

@perrycj Yeah, that's an option but then we will have to manually update each JSS entry (User and Location>Edit Building). It seems that while this is a useable approach, it more or less functions as a Static Group. Thanks for the input :)

perrycj
Contributor III

If you use AD/LDAP, and that information is present in those environments already, they would pre-populate building information automatically to every user who has a building attached to them in those systems. I know it's a big IF but just food for thought.

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

SCOPE > LIMITATIONS > NETWORK SEGMENTS

I'm not aware of there needing to be any requirement for AD/LDAP.

Yes you can tie a building to a network segment. But it's not a requirement.

perrycj
Contributor III

@bpavlov Yup that works for policies. I was just answering simply based on Smart Groups but that definitely would work for specific policies which I think is what he wants to use it for anyway. Good call.

Also, I wasn't stating a requirement for AD/LDAP, just makes it easier to update the objects in the JSS with building information if AD/LDAP already has it.

HimanshuPawar
New Contributor II

I have created buildings and map them to network segments, when i use building as criteria to add computers for those network range in smart computer groups. Computer doesn't show up in smart computer groups.