Using Configurator 2

McLeanSchool
New Contributor III

So we are playing around with using Configurator 2 (now available in the App store) to configure some of our iPads. One quirk we ran into is the server URL you use to set up your MDM in Configurator 2. We discovered you need to use the URL:

https://jss.organization.org:8443/mdm/ServerURL

instead of

https://jss.organization.org:8443/configuratorenroll

Just FYI in case anyone else runs into this issue. So far Configurator 2 is much, much better and easier to use.

16 REPLIES 16

bumbletech
Contributor III

Have you tested apps with it? It seems like we're unable to load free, non-vpp apps anymore. The iPad asks for an AppleID and password when we install apps this way.

al_platt
Contributor II

Same thing here.. can't find a way around it. Back to V1 for now.

alex_ekblad
New Contributor

Hey All,

We are aware of the issue in which Apple Configurator no longer enrolls devices using the https://jss.organization.com:8443/configuratorenroll.

This is currently an open defect filed under D-009664. We tried the above workaround and found mixed results with both V1 and V2.

If you are experiencing this issue, we suggest trying the Enrollment Profile method as suggested in http://www.jamfsoftware.com/resources/deploying-ios-devices-with-the-casper-suite-and-apple-configurator-version-9-3-or-later/. This method can also be used in V2 using Blueprints in a similar fashion.

If you are not able to use this workaround, or even if you fixed this issue, we suggest opening a case anyways so we can get it attached to D-009664, as it helps us get a better idea to the amount of users who are running into this problem.

Thanks!
Alex Ekblad
JAMF Support

nhammer1
New Contributor

Using automatic enrollment is also causing problems when trying to apply profiles via Apple Configurator 2 because it is supervised by MDM. May require a "company identity" profile that both MDM server and Apple Configurator 2 recognize. Since enrolled through MDM says it is supervised but requires touching device to install when pushed via Configurator 2 using automatic enrollment.

a5a5eb250d0c4317a9cca22aef630e88

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

FYI Configurator 2 help is live.

http://help.apple.com/configurator/mac/2.0/

cj77
New Contributor

@nhammer1 Were you able to resolve issue? I am seeing the same problem you have
"iPads are not supervised by an existing organisation"

Thanks.

nhammer1
New Contributor

We have moved forward with a workflow that ignores the automatic setup. We setup the devices manually and then use enrollment profiles near the end of the process. To me it looks like there needs to be a JSS update to use the automatic enrollment in Configurator 2.

nsdjoe
Contributor II

powellbc
Contributor II

Hi @alex.ekblad , any ETA on a fix for this? I ask because you indicated both of the URLs proposed may not work.

georgecm12
Contributor III

Is there any way to replicate the "automatically refresh" option from Configurator 1.x in Configurator 2.x? It seems really odd that a program originally designed to maintain iPad carts doesn't have that option.

alex_ekblad
New Contributor

@powellbc As of right now, we are working very hard to try and get this issue resolved. We are hoping to get it out for our next release, but as of right now we have no projected exact time period on it.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

@georgecm12 Based on what I learned at the Apple Education Tech Update yesterday, Configurator 2 has been rewritten with future workflows in mind, with a focus on deployment and ideally integration with an MDM. It no longer has a DB of supervised iPads that you can refresh. It does have Tags that get installed on the iPad (but disappear with an Erase all Content and Settings) and which you can filter on in Configurator to apply a BluePrint of settings to.

Be sure not to upgrade to El Capitan on the Configurator Mac, as then you cannot update Configurator in the App Store ("We could not complete your update. This update requires OS X version 10.10"). You will need to upgrade to Yosemite to update to 1.7.2 to manage iOS 9..

chris

georgecm12
Contributor III

@cdenesha That sort of makes sense, although it almost sounds like Configurator 2 is more a replacement for the old iPhone Configuration Utility than for Configurator 1.x.

Is there any advice for a replacement workflow that meets the needs of the "one-to-many" iPad "cart" environments? One thing I liked about Configurator 1.x is that I could just tell my completely non-technical users that all they need to do is just plug in the iPad and it erases and prepares the iPad for the next student, without needing to do anything but plug the device in.

I could document the heck out of Configurator 2, but it will still take far more interactivity on the part of the user than 1.x did, which is disappointing.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Supposedly Configurator 1 was the replacement for the iPhone Configuration Utility.

I did not have time to ask that kind of question yesterday.

Is there a reason you cannot stick with Configurator 1 for this year?

georgecm12
Contributor III

@cdenesha We can, and probably will. However, given that my testing seems to indicate that Configurator 2.x is a more robust product with far improved MDM and DEP integration, it would be nice to make use of it instead of 1.x.

iOSGenius
New Contributor III

I have enjoyed using Config v2 much better and actually works better so far - now documenting would be nice though i have been making videos on youtube of the How to and getting hits along in making Casper videos 2 applications we all need to know how to make them work properly.

We have converted our apps to mdm and see a significant difference of performance -

Thanks
Dr. Dan
D87
iOS 9.1 - 700+
JSS 9.81.1 Hosted
youtube.com/user/appleiosgenius
www.iOSGenius.com