Apps Installing into Root Directory VS Application Folder

doreyme
New Contributor III

cd1171349de04094bb74c6cba115e7c6
Alright Jamf Nation, I have a quick question hopefully people can elaborate more on.

Im noticing that some applications, when downloaded via self service, are ending up in the Root Directory instead of the Application Folder.

Is there a reason this can be happening ?

When creating these policies, I'm leaving the target drive to "/" but i've also heard that "/applications" can be the cause.

Any thoughts?

14 REPLIES 14

ahussain7
New Contributor II

How are the apps being made?

If you are using composer the structure needs to be /Applications or where ever the end location is going to be located.

doreyme
New Contributor III

@ahussain7 Yes im currently using composer.

ahussain7
New Contributor II

can you take a screenshot of the composer window please of the troublesome app going in to root?

hkabik
Valued Contributor

Are you by chance just dragging downloaded .DMG's into Jamf Admin and deploying them like that? That would for sure lead to this.

doreyme
New Contributor III

Let me actually rephrase the question above.

When creating a .pkg, using composer, if lets say have Dropbox located in my /applications folder and using snapshot to create the .pkg.

Since it was in my /Applications folder, is that why it will install in the same folder via self service when deployed?

ahussain7
New Contributor II

Correct, it won't change folder unless you make that change in composer.

so it copies it like for like in the scenario you have mentioned

doreyme
New Contributor III

@ahussain7 So if i decided to have it at the Root Directory, I would basically snapshot the .pkg from that location?

doreyme
New Contributor III

@hkabik negative. but thats good to know.

doreyme
New Contributor III

another question regarding /Users/$USERNAME/Applications

I stumbled across this Thread

So if I wanted the application to be installed into the User's application folder without using this script, would the Composer method above work the same way?

jacob_evans
New Contributor II

@doreyme I think that would be a case of using the Fill user templates (FUT/FEU)

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/14978/how-and-when-to-use-fut-and-feu-or-both

It's been a while so I might be talking rubbish.

ahussain7
New Contributor II

@doreyme Yes you can use composer to copy it to the user's location only if you know the user's name beforehand otherwise the script is the only way to get it copied to the user's location.

hkabik
Valued Contributor

If deploying via DMG (not PKG, pathing in PKG will be explicit) you can use your home folder as the source in Composer and it will place the items in the user's home folder's regardless of name if you enable FEU. It will also place them where appropriate in the user template if you enable FUT.

doreyme
New Contributor III

@hkabik you mentioned If one were to be downloading a .DMG package and dragging it straight to the JAMF admin repository, this would be the cause for the application be downloaded into the root folder?

How would i accomplish placing the .app into the User's Application folder when creating a .DMG via composer?

hkabik
Valued Contributor

@doreyme

Place the app into your own ~/Applications folder. Then drag it into Composer. Use "Apply Owner and Group to Users and All Enclosed Items" on the /Users folder within Composer. That will ensure everything gets Owner: root and Group: admin recursively from that root folder down (needed for Jamf to assign ownership properly).

Then Build As DMG.

When you upload the .dmg to Jamf Admin, make sure you check Fill User Templates and Fill Existing User Directories.

You will want to make sure those are checked in Jamf Pro when you are creating your policy as well.

That will place the application in any user's ~/Applications that is currently on the machine as well as the user template's ~/Applications so it will be added for all future users.