Database Tables Question..........Applications Table....

kerouak
Valued Contributor

So, the above is growing outa sight!!

After truncating the table, I went back and checked 5 hrs later, lo and behold, there are 1794376 entries (whaaaaat)

After drilling into the table, it seems that the "mac_app_store" field has most of the entries.

Does anyone know what info is in there, why it's growing so quickly, Where is all this data coming from?

See attachemnts

4 REPLIES 4

kerouak
Valued Contributor

b9afd4f278c74b27b47f3c76cd67efb6

bburdeaux
Contributor II

The Applications table holds all of the information collected regarding apps installed on a computer when it runs recon. This information is seen in the Applications section of a computer record in JamfPRO. Explaining why this table is so large requires a bit of background.

When a computer starts an inventory update with recon a report is generated with a unique report_id to collect all of that information, so every piece of data collected during that inventory update is attached that report_id, regardless of which table that data falls into. In the case of the applications table, this means that each report generates a row for each application installed on that computer, and any applications that are installed on multiple computers will appear in multiple rows as well, one for each report.

Depending on the number of computers you have in your environment and how often they're checking inventory, you may find that you have a lot of data in the tables that collect report data, and that is perfectly normal.

Side note: the field mac_app_store has a default value of 0, which means every row generated will have a 0 in that field unless otherwise specified.

kerouak
Valued Contributor

Yeah, i was aware of that, however, the rows with 0 are growing by almost 3000 per 10 minutes....

bburdeaux
Contributor II

If you are concerned about this behavior, it's probably best to loop in your Jamf Buddy to see if there is a potential issue. That being said, I'm still not completely sure what your seeing is an issue given the info I have.

Are the rows growing after being truncated, or growing past the 1.8m you we seeing previously?
Do these rows have non-default data in them?
Compare the results of the two following queries to see how many of the reports in your applications table are orphaned(i.e. not the latest report for any computers). Are you seeing a lot of orphaned reports?
How do these numbers compare to the number of computers in your Jamf Pro? Subtracting the number of orphaned reports from the total number of reports should give you a number close to the number of computers actively reporting to Jamf Pro.

select count(distinct report_id) from applications where report_id not in (select last_report_id from computers_denormalized);
select count(distinct report_id) from applications;

If there is an issue, my first guess would be a/some computer/s are stuck in a loop of sending inventory reports, which is causing the applications table to fill up with orphaned reports, but I would be very surprised if that were the case.