dscl command not returning user’s AD information

evacchio
New Contributor II

We use a script (runs once) triggered during computer setup to find the logged in user’s AD information. We test (If/Then) for the user’s membership in our “Faculty and Staff” or our “Students” OU and flag the computer accordingly. But something is failing at the dscl command (see below) about 10-20% of the time. 

Relevant excerpts from the script are as follows:

#VERIFY LOGGED IN USER NAME

LoggedInUser=$(ls -l /dev/console | awk '{ print $3 }')

echo "Hello $LoggedInUser

#VERIFY COMPUTER IS BOUND TO AD

echo "Here is the domain this computer is bound to:"

dsconfigad -show | awk '/Active Directory Domain/{print $NF}'

# FIRST LIST ALL THE USER’S OU’s SO THAT THE JAMF LOGS GIVE SOME POSITIVE DATA FOR TROUBLEHOOTING PURPOSES

echo "Here is a list of ALL the OU's that LoggedInUser is a member of:"

dscl '/Active Directory/##ourdomain##/All Domains' -read /Users/"$LoggedInUser" | grep "OU";

# GREP FOR USER MEMBERSHIP IN FACULTY OU AND FLAG AS SUCH. OTHERWISE FLAG AS STUDENT:

if 

dscl '/Active Directory/##ourdomain##/All Domains' -read /Users/"$LoggedInUser" | grep "Faculty and Staff"; 

then

touch /var/.faculty

else

touch /var/.student

100% of the time the $LoggedInUser and the Active Directory Domain echo their correct values. But about 10-20% of the time the two dscl commands return no OU’s for $LoggedInUser in that Domain, even though they are definitively in “Faculty and Staff”. Those computers thus get flagged as .student and my user setup is destroyed. But when that happens, if I log that same user onto another freshly restored computer, most (but not all) of the time the script DOES find their correct OU’s and the comp gets flagged correctly. So sometimes dscl works and sometimes it fails.

What could the problem be? And how might I test what's going on? I feel like it's a bad connection to AD though I don't know how I'd verify that. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

@evacchio Try changing

LoggedInUser=$(ls -l /dev/console | awk '{ print $3 }')

to

LoggedInUser=$([[ $3 ]] && echo "$3" || defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow lastUserName)

Virtual MacAdmins Monthly Meetup - First Friday, Every Month

evacchio
New Contributor II

Hugonaut, thanks for the suggestion. I've put it into the script, though I've also made a number of other changes, so I can't really know if it helped. But I liked your idea, because $LoggedInUser is a critical variable, and if it has any problems or delays getting defined then that would cause my symptoms. I liked the idea of defining it differently, hoping for better success.

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

You're welcome! I hope it helps!

Virtual MacAdmins Monthly Meetup - First Friday, Every Month