Having Issues with Script running in self-service

FeasiblePear
New Contributor III

I added the Firefox script made by Joe into my JSS. It worked great in my environment until a few days ago. Nothing has been changed in my JSS; it now pops up an error when running from self-service.

There was a problem installing Mozilla Firefox. Contact your administrator.

Stupid error message calls me out on my mooching.

I created a new standalone pkg and replaced Joe's script for the time being. Anybody else seeing the same error with the script?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I assume by "Joe" you mean @joe.farage's script, but I only know that because I tend to read almost every post that comes through here. In the future, it would be helpful to include a link to the thread with the script, or post the script itself, or something to help people know what you're referring to. Or alternately use the @ tag in the post to make sure the script originator is notified of the thread.

I have not looked at his script recently, but I can tell you that not long ago Mozilla stopped including a path directly to their latest full Firefox release from their FTP site. If you navigate now to "Latest" you see a text file that has instructions on how to obtain the latest release, not an actual download DMG. Its still possible to script downloading the latest version and even getting the latest version number, but if his previous script is still using the older FTP URL, it won't work anymore until its reworked to accommodate the changes from Mozilla.

For reference, this is the URL to get the latest en-US language release of Firefox:
https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-latest&os=osx&lang=en-US
You can change the lang=en-US to get other languages, but I'm not sure of the exact strings to use. I think the text file in their FTP site mentions it though.

Maybe you can modify the script to use that link instead of what's in there now.

View solution in original post

joe_farage
New Contributor III

Hi all ;)

Sorry I was quite busy. I have modified the script to install Firefox ESR. The version detection was defect because Mozilla changed the version format. I just uploaded it, it has to be approved and should be available soon here: Firefox ESR. Hope it helps!
Bon weekend ;)

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

tthurman
Contributor III

Can you install any other packages?

Try to run a sudo jamf recon

You may need to re-enroll the machine.

Regards,
TJ

tthurman
Contributor III

Also, what does the log say in the policy for the script?

FeasiblePear
New Contributor III

I have tested installing from self-service with 10 machines (all of which did work previously) and now no longer work. The script that Joe published for Chrome works great still.

I checked my logs folder and the FirefoxInstallScript.log does not get modified. It appears that the script errors out before it can even get to writing the file.

FeasiblePear
New Contributor III

Here is what my JSS spit out:

[STEP 1 of 4]
Executing Policy Mozilla Firefox
[STEP 2 of 4]
[STEP 3 of 4]
[STEP 4 of 4]

mm2270

I assume by "Joe" you mean @joe.farage's script, but I only know that because I tend to read almost every post that comes through here. In the future, it would be helpful to include a link to the thread with the script, or post the script itself, or something to help people know what you're referring to. Or alternately use the @ tag in the post to make sure the script originator is notified of the thread.

I have not looked at his script recently, but I can tell you that not long ago Mozilla stopped including a path directly to their latest full Firefox release from their FTP site. If you navigate now to "Latest" you see a text file that has instructions on how to obtain the latest release, not an actual download DMG. Its still possible to script downloading the latest version and even getting the latest version number, but if his previous script is still using the older FTP URL, it won't work anymore until its reworked to accommodate the changes from Mozilla.

For reference, this is the URL to get the latest en-US language release of Firefox:
https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-latest&os=osx&lang=en-US
You can change the lang=en-US to get other languages, but I'm not sure of the exact strings to use. I think the text file in their FTP site mentions it though.

Maybe you can modify the script to use that link instead of what's in there now.

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

Who is Joe? Can you post the script? Or link to it? Use the >_ button when copying code to a post on JAMF Nation.

FeasiblePear
New Contributor III

My apologies, I am new to the forums. I opened the discussion within the Firefox Third-Party Product and thought it would it would be posted within that area. It is confusing when pulled out of context.

But you are correct, joe.farage's script. I will play around with the script and see if I can get it to work with the info you provided.

mm2270

Ah, got it. I can see why you would have thought the post would have gone into that section and not straight to the main forums. No worries. See what you can do, and post back if its not working. I should be able to help, or Joe will pop on and update his script at some point.

joe_farage
New Contributor III

Hi all ;)

Sorry I was quite busy. I have modified the script to install Firefox ESR. The version detection was defect because Mozilla changed the version format. I just uploaded it, it has to be approved and should be available soon here: Firefox ESR. Hope it helps!
Bon weekend ;)

joe_farage
New Contributor III

The problem with Firefox ESR is that on the web page source: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/ we have: data-latest-firefox="45.0" data-esr-versions="38.7.0 45.0". That means the latest ESR version is: 38.7.0 but if you download it manually we got: Firefox 38.6.1esr.dmg
Inside that dmg the Firefox app version is: Firefox 38.6.1
So the script will say that the installation failed. Hope they will fix it! If there is no Firefox installed then the script will work.

FeasiblePear
New Contributor III

It looks like we are in the limbo stage of ESR. You can download the ESR 38 security point release or you can start the jump over to 45 path. I might just package up the 45 and switch over to your new script once FF stops support on the 38 path.