How to wipe off an iPad which is in Shared Mode

khurram
Contributor III

When iPads are in Shared Mode, there is no WiFi signals when user is logged out and we cant send any push notifications or remote commands. When a user is logged on in to a shared ipad, the commands will not be executed (by deisgn?, correct me if I am wrong). We need to actually move this iPad out of Shared iPads pool

12 REPLIES 12

khurram
Contributor III

now after a couple of minutes I was able to see the WiFi when user is logged out but still the remote commands are pending in JSS

khurram
Contributor III

restart command is now executed successfully however after restart its a minute or two and still can't see WiFi sign on the iPad

khurram
Contributor III

The WiFi seems to come back around after 3 minutes passed after the user is logged out. However, in our case the Auto Join was not enabled for the desired WiFi SSID.

maurits
Contributor

There is a trick with Shared iPad to get the Wifi selector window. (I saw an Apple guy doing this at a demo)

I forgot what it is (no shared iPad at hand) but it is either home button, or swipe up, or something like that.
Let us know what it is.

philhavens
New Contributor

You can select a WiFi network on a shared iPad by hitting the home button twice. That will pop up a selection window to choose from.

If there is a configuration profile for the WiFi network it will join when you tap on the SSID. Should work out for you.

pueo
Contributor II

Hello

This post was kinda left unresolved. I am testing Shared iPad for ASM and have found not one App is being pushed out to the iPads. They are stuck in Pending. I have logged into the iPads with a student and a admin account. Same behaviour. Nada.
Now I am trying to wipe the iPads to put back to 'normal', but I cant wipe them. The 'Wipe Command' will not go thru. Just sits there pending.
I am connecting my iPads via Ethernet eliminating any Wifi issues.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

khurram
Contributor III

We haven't yet implemented the Shared iPads in our college yet, so not sure but there are some suggestions you can try. As far as the wiping off a shared iPad is concerned, if you look at the Shared iPads scenario it seems that you can't wipe-off the iPad until and unless it is in Shared iPad mode. Please note that the user is logged into this iPad via managed Apple ID. Another thing you can try is removing the user from the shared iPad (from JAMF) and then send the wipe off iPad command when no user is logged in. My understanding is that in both scenarios it is not going to work, I might be wrong. Please share your trail error so other people can benefit.

RLR
Valued Contributor

I'm setting up shared iPads at the moment. The wipe device command does not go through if a user is logged in. As soon as I force removed the user using Jamf the wipe command went through.

I'm using apple configurator 2 and content caching to set these up and all apps are being installed and the automated wallpaper is being applied. It's working okay except for each ipad getting the install command for various apps 100s of times. I've got a call open with Jamf to see if they know why.

I've found the lock screen payload pushed out to the shared iPads successfully but doesn't actually change the lock screen message so isn't actually doing anything. Jamf say this is an issue that apple need to change.

The whole setup is a bit hit and miss. All iPads are going through the exact same process but sometimes when I click prepare on AC2 for 10 ipads, about half will fail and I'll have to do it again for those that failed and they suddenly work. Not sure if this is an apple thing or a jamf thing. It's very hit and miss.

Overall, I think the shared ipad setup needs a lot of work to get rid of bugs and random issues. They say AC2 can prepare up to 30 iPads at a time but I found it struggled so I'm doing 10 at a time. This is very time consuming considering I've got a few hundred to do. If I didn't run into random failed to prepare issues on AC2 it would be okay but I'm having to repeat a lot of stuff.

mickgrant
Contributor III

i have been running shared ipads for about 2 years now and here are a few lessons that i have learned both from use and things that apple support has told me.

iPads wont run any command remotely while a user is logged in, if you want to do install and app or upload a profile the ipad must be fully logged out.
also the iPads go into a power saving mode if just sitting around for a while and so wont install even if they are logged out. if you plug the iPads into a charger they wont go to sleep in this manner and you should be alight.

good luck

pueo
Contributor II

Hello all
Been reading the posts since I posted a comment a few days ago. I ended up using AC2 and set the iPads into DFU mode. Boom! Wiped. When you are running out of time go the way you know!
But now I know you need to be fully logged out before a command will be sent through.
I have till November to get Shared iPad up and running. Until then I have test iPads to play with and work on fine tuning it ready for Term 2.
Cheers
P.

RLR
Valued Contributor

It's a bit odd that users have to be logged out of the iPad to receive commands. The whole reason for shared iPads and caching users is to save time. There's kind of no point caching users if the iPads stop processing most commands. We're going to tell our teachers to ask students to sign out of the iPad after they've used it so new commands can get through.

It would be nice if there was a way to bulk log out users from a set of iPads. Currently, the only way to log a user out is to go to an iPad individually in jamf, and log them out on that iPad.

cpominville
Contributor

the biggest feature I want with Shared iPads, is after 20 minutes, if the user has not used it, LOGOUT!! I restart all, or should I say, I send the command to restart all my shared iPads, because kids DO NOT logout. There is a very nice feature for the Teachers in Classroom app that logs all the kids out at the same time, but most teachers don't use Classroom unfortunately.