iOS apps deploy scope into incorrect group

dan86
New Contributor

Hi All,

Does anyone have this issue?? iOS Apps scope in JSS send to incorrect group. Even thought you try remove the apps it will still install it back? See my Webdav apps which I only set to yr2 group but it install on yr1. I am using JSS v9.81. Currently all ipads is using iOS 8.1 - 8.3.

0bf28dc8206d4260956c2b2d9be770f4
e29cd742192843eda95e22ec0a1091da
9df7e36c5d6b4ef5b699fe0458d8150f
6fd8eedb5d834841b096b059a771158c

11 REPLIES 11

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@dan86

The first thing that stands out is the smart group criteria.
You’ve got “like Yr2” in there, but if Year 1 is abbreviated as Yr1 for the room name, the group is going to pick that up as well because your criteria is set to “like” instead of “is” since Yr1 is like Yr2.

If you change the group criteria to Room Is Yr2 does it behave as expected?

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

@amanda.wulff How is Yr2 like Yr1? I could understand if it were like "Yr". But shouldn't like "Yr1" mean it needs to find the 3 characters in consecutive order "yr1" within the particular field that's being search?

So for example like "yr1" should pick up: RandomYr1Text (since it has all 3 characters consecutively within the result)
But should not pick up: RandomYrText (since it's missing the number 1)

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@bpavlov

One would think; the like operator does act as a wildcard, and should be looking at all three characters.

If we change it to is from like and find that it behaves as expected with that change, I'd recommend getting in touch with your Technical Account Manager to get case opened up as, if we can reproduce the behavior in house and it turns out it is not expected behavior, we'll want to get a defect filed.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

Are you saying it should be looking at all three characters separately? Because that hasn't been my experience. For example if I create a smart group searching for the operating system: like "10.10." (without the quotes) I do not get results for all other OSes such as 10.8, 10.9, etc. which obviously have "1", "0", and "." in them. I only get results for OSes such as 10.10.1, 10.10.2, etc.

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@bpavlov

I’m saying what it appears to be doing is looking at the part rather than the whole, since like does act as a wildcard; I’m not entirely certain if the behavior you’re seeing is expected or not, however, which is why I’ve asked that you please change the group to have an is operator instead of like and see if it behaves as expected.

If it does, then we’d want to look into it further with your Technical Account Manager to determine whether or not the behavior with the like operator is expected or not; if it is not, then we would file a defect. If it is considered expected behavior, they would be able to provide more information as to why it’s considered expected behavior with the like operator.

If there is a smart group that is set up to just be scoped to the Yr1 room, it may also be worth looking at that to see if the criteria is set up any differently and if those devices are getting the correct apps.

It's also possible, without being able to look further with a WebEx, that something else is going on here that isn't immediately apparent from the screenshots; if you'd like to have someone go over the issue with you over a WebEx, please get in touch with your Technical Account Manager either via phone, by e-mailing support@jamfsoftware.com, or by using the My Support section of JAMF Software, and they'll be able to get something set up with you to look into it a bit further.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

dan86
New Contributor

@amanda.wulff

I have same group but "is" also have issue grouping incorrect. Been using this setup since 1yr ago.

Had report to jamf support, so far still trying solve this issue. Worst thing might happen is one by one remove in device and push again or re-enroll to JSS.

Support group did a remote with me yesterday, We tested remove manually or do a exclusion on one device. It doesn't remove also if you manually remove it pushes back again.

Somehow inside JSS keep sending command to install.

I post here to find out anyone else have such issue also hope to get solution in here too. Try luck hehe

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@dan86

That is definitely strange behavior; hopefully they'll be able to find out that it was something simple that was easily overlooked!
If your Technical Account Manager hasn't yet checked to make sure there isn't a duplicate criteria in another group, or that it isn't a situation in which there is an App Store app we're trying to deploy as in-house, it's definitely worth looking at that.

If it's just happening with one or a small potion of Smart Group(s), it's also possible something went wrong with that group on the backend; in that case, if it hasn't already been tried, it may be worth re-creating the group (not cloning, if something is wrong with the group, cloning might also clone the problem) from scratch, then deleting the original group to see if the behavior clears up.
Doing that will likely result in at least one round of the app being pulled then re-pushed again, just so you're aware.

It may also be a good idea to see if your Technical Account Manager can assist in getting a debug or MySQL statement log going to see if we can catch the behavior with the extra logging turned on as that can sometimes provide extra information that lets us know what the JSS is doing right down to the SQL statements it's sending.

The only time I've seen semi-similar behavior involves only Apple TVs and configuration profiles, but in that case it only happens with configuration profiles and the profile is pulled (and not re-deployed) after a couple of minutes.

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

dan86
New Contributor

Sadly.. After re-do for the brand new year with new groups it still happen again... All my groups been pushed wrongly !!!! Anyone can help solve this issue?

:(

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

In your first screenshot, I can't tell it Prep, Yr1, and Yr2 are the Scope or a Site. I assume Scope.

Are both screenshots of the iPad, the same iPad? Then it is showing as being in scope for the Year 1 App, but the Year 2 app is being automatically installed?

If so, I don't think any of us are going to be able to help - you'll need to have support webex in.

dan86
New Contributor

Screenshots of same ipad. The scope shown year 1 Apps but been pushed with Year 2 app. I wonder is it JSS unable to handle mutiple webdav app? The rest of the apps is working fine since it just single app assign to all. The support groups also unable to verify this issue, can only suggest me to manually remove and install again.

Anyone using webdav with multiple app configure?

Nick_Gooch
Contributor III

@dan86 What version is your JSS at now? 9.82 has a fix for a defect that sounds similar to what you are seeing.

[D-009880] Fixed an issue that prevented the scope of an app from being respected if there are
multiple apps with the same bundle identifier in the scope of multiple sites and one instance of the
app is updated