Update signed configuration profile

JimmyJ
New Contributor

I have a healthy distrust of the built-in configuration profile editor and instead prefer to create my own profiles. I have a workflow which updates the profiles UUID if any changes are made, then signs it ready for upload to Jamf. The certificate Jamf provides for signing profiles only lasts a year, so signed profiles will need to be updated at least yearly.

If I try and upload an updated configuration profile I get an error, likely because the identifier is already in use. In most cases I can remove the old profile then upload the new one, however for settings such as WiFi, removing the old profile would prevent a new one being applied.

Is there any way of updating a configuration profile without removing the old one first?

5 REPLIES 5

bilal_habib
New Contributor III

I wouldn't bother with signing profiles that have WiFi settings unless there is a key you cannot find in JAMF Pro when making that profile

jtrant
Valued Contributor

Duplicate it in Profile Creator or AC2 after un-signing, then sign and re-upload.

JimmyJ
New Contributor

Jamf seems to enjoy adding a bunch of useless crap to my WiFi profile, so I've tried to avoid their version.

If I duplicate the profile (I assume this changes the identifier) it would install a duplicate profile until the old one is removed. I don't think this would be a problem for WiFi, but a lot of my other profiles would cause problems if they were installed twice.

jtrant
Valued Contributor

Unless it's a System Extension profile (they don't like duplicate extensions with the same name) you can un-scope the old one and scope the new, resulting in no duplicates as the client processes both actions at the same time.

patgmac
Contributor III

If you get yourself an Apple Developer account and use that to sign your profiles, you get much more than a year.